Puff stitch corner help

Saba

Question

Hello 👋 

Pattern reads:

Round 8 – Ch 1, *(sc 1, ch 1, sk 1) over next 19 sts, 2 sc, repeat from * to end, sl st to first sc. [126 total sts]
Round 9 – Ch 2, hdc 1, (PS 1 in ch-1, ch 1, sk 1) to last ch-1, PS 1, sl st to first hdc.
[126 total sts]

• Note: When you reach the 2 sc increase from previous row, PS in the second sc and continue in pattern.

I am getting stuck on Round 9 with the puffs. I keep ending up with 120 stitches so losing 6 which I think is to do with my corners. I have checked my stitch count in rnd 8 and I have 126 stitches. Rnd 9 at the corner I have a PS, ch1, sk1, then I have the 2 sc from rnd 8, so if I PS in the 2nd sc (as per the Note) I have actually skipped 2 stitches from rnd 8.  This is where the 6 sts are lost. Then ch1, sk1 to follow pattern. Hope you can help, I’ve frogged twice and double checked my stitch count!

9 answers to this question

Patterns can have errors.  Does it look like its okay like maybe stitch count given for this round is wrong?  Does next round work?  I do a search with the patterns names to see whats out there. In some cases there is discussion or comments with corrections or if others had problems.  Many times it takes me to Ravelry which is free to join if you are not a member. Every sk 1 would be losing one stitch also.  Sorry not enough info for me to figure it out.

Edited by bgs

No still doesn't work out. I the other sizes rnd 8 is worked over an even no but I'm working over 19. So I have 3 sc in a row at the corner. Then in rnd 9 my ch1 and sk the 19th and note says to ps in the 2nd st of the Inc which is my 21st stitch so there is nothing over the 20th st.

Is it a free pattern on the internet?  If so post the link.  Give us the names of the pattern and designer.  The more info the better our chances of helping. Sometimes you have to study the photo from the pattern to figure it out. Sorry but with the limited info I cant figure out whats going on.  Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Bgs, if you chain 1, then skip 1 (the skip 1s above all have a chain 1 before), you aren't losing a stitch, the chain is 'in' the skipped stitch, even tho it's really floating above it  - or at least that's how I'd  count it.  Right?

"Round 8 – Ch 1, *(sc 1, ch 1, sk 1) over next 19 sts, 2 sc, repeat from * to end, sl st to first sc. [126 total sts]"

The first chain 1, I assume, is the turning chain, which (normally) does not count as a stitch when the first st in a row is SC. 

SC, ch1, skip 1=this makes and 'uses' 2 stitches.  19 is an odd number, so this doesn't work.  So there is one error, the 19 has to be 18 or 20 (as Saba said).  However, using the other clue we have, 126 divides by 18 evenly, so I think the pattern error is saying the repeat is over 19 not 18 sts.  

24 minutes ago, bgs said:

Is it a free pattern on the internet?  If so post the link.  Give us the names of the pattern and designer.  The more info the better our chances of helping. Sometimes you have to study the photo from the pattern to figure it out. Sorry but with the limited info I cant figure out whats going on.  Maybe someone else will have an idea.

https://lifeandyarn.com/free-crochet-sweater-pattern/

Round 9 i am doing size L the fourth size

21 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs, if you chain 1, then skip 1 (the skip 1s above all have a chain 1 before), you aren't losing a stitch, the chain is 'in' the skipped stitch, even tho it's really floating above it  - or at least that's how I'd  count it.  Right?

"Round 8 – Ch 1, *(sc 1, ch 1, sk 1) over next 19 sts, 2 sc, repeat from * to end, sl st to first sc. [126 total sts]"

The first chain 1, I assume, is the turning chain, which (normally) does not count as a stitch when the first st in a row is SC. 

SC, ch1, skip 1=this makes and 'uses' 2 stitches.  19 is an odd number, so this doesn't work.  So there is one error, the 19 has to be 18 or 20 (as Saba said).  However, using the other clue we have, 126 divides by 18 evenly, so I think the pattern error is saying the repeat is over 19 not 18 sts.  

It's a yoke down sweater so I have 6 sides with 21 sts each side = 126 in rnd 8

Then lose 6 in rnd 9. I'm going to try ps in the 1st of the inc. but worried it may offset the ps further down as the pattern repeats