Slat in next ch

Reinere

Question

I got this pattern and just cannot get to work this out. 

it asks:

1. Ch 29, F/O

2. in 15th st, hdc in ch, dc in same ch, he in same ch, slst in next ch -4

this is the issue: in the instructions she said:

when it says “slst ( sc, hdc, or dc) in next ch” at the end of rows2-23, that means you work in a ch from the ch29 in row 1. 

what does this mean?!?!?

please help, my adhd cannot wait any longer trying to figure this out!

8 answers to this question

Did you give us row 2 in its entirety with no typos?  Right now not sure what an he is.  Is there a list of abbreviations defining the terms?  Thinking F/O is finish off but that should be defined.  

The more info we have the better we can help i.e. link to pattern,  names of pattern and designer or what it is you are making.  

• Thanks 1

I think 'he' in row 2 MIGHT be a typo for hdc.  (so hdc, dc, hdc, slst would = 4 stitches as the stitch summary says).  So, you made a chain and finished it off, then re-connected the yarn in the 15th chain, and made a tiny little 'hill' of hdc, dc, hdc, slst all in that 15th chain.  

2 comments on this part: "when it says “slst ( sc, hdc, or dc) in next ch” at the end of rows2-23, that means you work in a ch from the ch29 in row 1. " First,  does it really say or?  because that makes no sense...it's either a typo and meant 'and' or it's REALLY  peculiar, it should be specific about which stitch goes where.  And second - "that means you work in a ch from the ch29 in row 1." This part makes sense, or and is what I would have expected about the way the pattern started - with a chain that was  finished off, then re-attaching the yarn in the middle - this suggests a strong probability that you will be working back and forth over that hill, making it wider and wider (and taller) by using 1 or more stitches of the chain on each side, at each pass.

What Bgs said about giving us more info about what you are making would help us help you better - not necessarily sharing the whole pattern, but seeing what the end result is supposed to look like and what part you are working on.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for being so helpful. I will make a copy of the document and upload it to make it clearer. I am not a “master level” crocheter but I never encountered a more confusing pattern. It’s for the (head back part) of an owl. It’s supposed to go over the head and back of the prepared body. I even went to “the” yarn store in our village and asked them for help but the one lady who knows how to crochet was sick and won’t be back until next week. I couldn’t find an email from the original person who posted the pattern… plus it’s an old design . It’s late at night here in Europe so I will post in a few hours.

Ok the numbers following the - are your stitch counts for the row.

At the end of each row where it says "in next ch" you make whatever stitch just prior into the next ch of your foundation ch of 29 that you made in step 1.

1.You are going to ch 29 and cut yarn leave a few inches of yarn to weave in end. 

2. You are going to count over and attach yarn in the 15th chain.  In that chain you work a hdc, dc, and hdc all in that one chain.  Then you slip stitch into the next chain.  You made 4 stitches.

3. chain 1 and turn.  Sc in next stitch, sc in next stitch, hdc in next stitch, sc in next stitch.  Now you sl st down into the next ch of your foundation ch of 29 you made in step 1.  5 stitches made

4.  Ch 1 and turn.  Make 1 sc in each of next 5 stitches.  Now you sl st down into the next ch of your foundation ch of 29 you made in step 1.  6 stitches made.

5.  Ch 1 and turn.  Make 1 sc in each of next 6 stitches.  Now you sl st down into the next ch of your foundation ch of 29 you made in step 1.  7 stitches made.

• Thanks 1

Yes!!! Thanks so much. It actually forms the “hat” part of the back portion of the owl. This part was meant to form a triangle shaped hood that then extends into the straight back. As soon as I am done I will post a picture! Thanks so much for your help!