Beginner crocheter stuck on instructions for Picot

Traci15

Question

I really hope someone can help me understand what I am supposed to do here.

I have knitted a baby's dress from a Paton's pattern (not sure if its a UK or US pattern).  The hem has a scalloped edge (knitted) but the final step says as follows - "using crochet hook, work 1 round dc evenly around lower edge, taking care not to stretch work, having a number divisible by 3. 

2nd round - * 1 dc in each of next 3 dc, "Picot", rep from * to end."

The first row I think I understand, just wish I knew if it was a UK dc or a US dc but I guess I will tell by trying and seeing if the look matches the picture, but the second row!  No idea!  Have been thinking about it for over a week now, watched "picot" videos which dont seem to match these instructions, so I am just stuck now and need to get this finished.

Would really appreciate someone explaining this to me please.  Thank you.

7 answers to this question

You could contact Paton for clarification.  We need more info in order to check out some things eg name of pattern, link to pattern or photo.  Sometimes you just have to study pattern photo to figure out what to do.

And for the picot row, you just work 3 dc stitches (US sc, one in each stitch of the previous row), *then ch 4, put your hook in the first chain and do a slip stitch*, then make one dc in each of the next 3 dc stitches. Repeat the instructions between the ** after every 3 dc stitches completed.

Throwing this out there...I (accidently, probably the first time I tried a picot a long time ago) came up with a 'cheat' that works with UK DC that is a teensy bit less fiddly than the normal/traditional method that Selind described.  It also looks a tiny bit different, but not a lot.  It eliminates the slip stitch that you do after making the chain, which is the 'fiddly' part.  

In your case, the picot is between sets of 3 UK DC.  My cheat for your pattern would be *3 UK DC, chain 3, repeat.  This makes a bit more open picot than the normal method described by Selind does.  (edit, maybe a teensy big bigger too) Actually I just did this on a recent doily, the same scheme of 3 UK DC (US SC) between picots--see below.

Note to crocheters - this works for US SC because it's such a short and compact stitch.  Does not work for US DC (the chain just spreads the DCs apart), haven't tried on US HDC but it might work.

picots.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for your very helpful instructions and for the clarification on whether I was using a UK or US pattern (so confusing - thank goodness we dont have an Australian version as well!).  Hopefully I will get this finished now and it will look great.  Will knit a square to practise on first just in case.   If I get stuck, I will come back for advice if thats ok.