Patterns

cdm3031

Question

6 answers to this question

Either the pattern made a typo or you did transcribing it -- not knocking anybody, my fumble fingers are happy auto correct exists (most of the time).

But like Bgs said, we don't have enough info on just that bit you typed - however I have a guess (which may not be what the pattern meant, but just throwing this out there).

Could it have said, or meant,  "2 inc in the 6th, 10th, 14th, 18th, 22nd and 26th sc ?  

"2 inc" could mean a couple of things.  Does the pattern have a special stitch definition section (usually before the actual pattern starts).  Technically, to increase by 2, and doing that in 1 stitch, would mean putting 3 stitches into 1, so there's 2 more than were in that 'spot' before.  But it could be that the pattern author defined 'inc 2' as 2 stitches into 1, which is an increase of 1 stitch over what was there before.

Oops, I see the OP has replied as I type, I'll post so I can read it.

Instructions might be correct depending on what the designer is trying to create but since we do not know what you are making, what it looks like, or what you have already worked we really do not know and are just throwing out guesses.  We often come across what seems to be strange instructions in patterns.  You often need to literally do exactly what it says not what you think it should say and then evaluate it.  Does it look like the photo?  Does the next row work out?  Sometimes you have to pull it out and try again.

Rnd-18 2sc in the 6th,10th,14th,18th,22nd 26th sc

so round 17 must have 26 sc

So to literally follow the instructions for rnd 18 make 2sc in the 6th sc in round 17.  Then make 2 sc in the 10th sc in rnd 17.  Then make 2 sc into the 14th sc of rnd 17.  Then make 2 sc into the 18th sc of rnd 17.  Then make 2sc in 22nd sc of rnd 17.  Then make 2sc into the 26th sc of rnd17.

OK, so I was on the right track more or less.

"Rnd-18 2sc in the 6th,10th,14th,18th,22nd 26th sc that's what the pattern tells me to so but I don't understand what's it telling me to do"

Round 17 has at least 26 stitches in it.  Have you ever crocheted anything with an increase, or made a shell stitch - there are many occasions where you put more than 1 stitch into 1 stitch - you can shove about 20 stitches into 1 before it gets to be a bit messy.

Notice that the stitches called out have 3 stitches between them, or another way to say it is that it is naming every 4th stitch between stitch #6 and stitch #26.  I'm not sure how to say it a whole lot clearer than the pattern did, but to word it a different way, "put 1 stitch into each of the first 5 stitches, *put 2 stitches into the next stitch, put 1 stitch into each of the next 3 stitches, repeat from * a total of 6 times". 

Or, if you are working in the round you should have stitch markers handy to mark the first stitch of the round, so maybe put 2 markers in that first stitch and also put a marker in the 6th,10th,14th,18th,22nd and 26th stitch of the round ahead of you, and increase every time you reach a marker.  If you are making somethin in spiral rounds, you should be familiar with stitch markers.  If you aren't marking the first stitch of a round and moving it up each round, you are going to get lost.

It looks like Bgs and I were typing at the same time...what she said.

Edited by Granny Square