Dobby the elf pattern help

Amy0512

Question

12 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

The prior round was 18 stitches. 

Round 14, you use only 6, and skip 12--the 12 I believe are the nose, and (I believe) the 6 is a nostril.  I"m reading this as these 12 stitches will remain skipped, at least thru the next rnd.

Round 15- You've skipped the 12 above, which brings you back to the beginning of the round, which is where, in the prior round, you worked into 6 stitches.  I think round 15 works into the same 6 stitches you made in rnd 14.  I think if the pattern wanted you to use any of the skipped 12 from the row before, it would have (should have) been clear about mentioning that.  It's not horribly unusual for a pattern to say 'leave remaining stitches unworked' and then you come back to those specifically omitted stitches at some later time.

Is there a photo of  the finished Dobby, that shows the nose and nostrils?  Looking at the pattern photo often helps me when I'm not sure 'where a pattern is going'.  (edit, I looked, I found Dobbys but no nostrils...)

Edited by Granny Square

Wow you're good!! Yes that is him!!! so basically you're saying I've to turn my work and work into the 6 I've already made? It gets extremely confusing again after this because it wants me to work into the unworked stitches?🙈🙈🙈

You are working in a round so you have 18 stitches in your round shape O.  If you work into 6, skip 12, which brings you back to to first of the 6 where you work into the 6 again.  This leaves you with a figure 8 shape (one  part is your 6 stitches the other part 12 stitches)  You work into the one part of the figure 8 that has 6 stitches until it says work into remaining 12 stitches which is the other part of your figure 8.

You have 18 stitches on previous round.  Make 1st stitch this round and put a stitch marker in it.  Make your next 5 stitches.  Pinch the sides of your work together so your hook is next to the stitch marker.  Join or work into the stitch with the stitch marker.  Now you keep working around in these 6 stitches and later go back and work in those other 12.  Its not impossible.  You will encounter instructions like this in several patterns.  Designers do this to avoid making all those fiddly individual pieces and having to sew them together

Put stitch markers into each stitch so you can find them. Not impossible just very difficult making a small tube and working it tight.  Sometimes I have also had to use a smaller hook.  I have had to pull it apart multiple times and just keep trying.  Even though I have done a small tube in past I will have to struggle next time I do one.  On one of the project pages at the Ravelry link they said they tweaked the pattern in various places including the nose.  If you can figure out an alternate way to achieve the look you want go for it.  You never have to strictly follow the pattern.

Edited by bgs