Crochet Moses Basket

Rikki13

Question

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and need some help. I’m self taught and have been crocheting about a year. I have a pattern for a crochet Moses basket using a wooden base. The wooden base is sized 40X75cm (18”X30”), Holes are 9mm diameter and are less then 5mm apart, for a total of 182 holes. The recommended hook size using, double medium (size 7-9mm),T-Shirt yarn to the wooden base is 6mm, using single stitch (sc). Working the sides, the recommended hook size is a 9mm. Stitch used for the basket is the waistcoat single crochet stitch (Vsc). My problem, as seen in the pictures, is the wavy look at the sizes. It seems to be getting worse with each row! I don’t know if I have too many stitches, or are my stitches too tight! I’m will to pull it all out and start again. I just don’t know what I’m doing to cause the wavy! If it’s too many stitches how do I calculate the correct amount?  Can someone help me, please. I would appreciate all thoughts.

Warm regards,

F230DB59-34E2-44C8-A52A-A51E45CDAC15.jpeg

AEEC572F-3AFA-4BC2-80E4-DBF84EDE4304.jpeg

13 answers to this question

So many bits to your question.  First, the wavy part - is not necessarily 'you doing something wrong', but your slight difference in the way you form stitches versus the designers'.  I make flat doilies and get this (ruffling to some extent) all the time, and have to adjust on the fly, or negate by blocking, but you can't really block a basket.

Is the basket supposed to have straight sides (perpendicular to the bottom), or get wider as it goes up?  I'm assuming perpendicular.  What I would do is try to pinch the ruffle in 4 spots - 1 on each side - so each side is perpendicular and you've 'pinched away' the extra stitches, and give your best guess at how many stitches you pinched. Rip back to round 2 (round 1 is too 'fussy', working into the holes in the wooden base) and evenly space the decreases ('wainscoat' 2 together).  

For a basket to be sturdy, another thought - you also might consider going down a hook size or 2.  Making a basket this big is not something I'd  consider as my old hands just ain't what they used to be as the song (sort of) goes.  Your stitches should be as tight as you can stand to make them, not 'drapey' like you'd want to make stitches in a clothing item or blanket for example.  A basket this big would normally be made with splints of wood after all.  Reducing hook sizes would also reduce the ruffle, actually it's probably not a bad idea to try that first (starting with round 2) before reducing stitch counts.

Forgot to mention until I hit post (of course) -- You might consider abandoning the waistcoat stitch and try crocheting around clothesline instead - there are several videos on this classic basket technique.  They don't have wooden bottoms, but are sturdy, and I'd think less prone to 'wavy', which is I think what you are going for. (edit, meaning, you're trying to remove wavy')

Edited by Granny Square

I would do as Granny Square suggested pulling it out and reworking it with a smaller hook and tightening up my tension.  Also be mindful of your slip stitch join for each round as its easy to unintentionally increase at that point on each round.  By the time you get back around to the slip stitch its easy to mistake it as a stitch to work into.

What does the pattern photo look like.  This one does not have a wood bottom but it looks sort of floppy.

Thank you so much for your guidance. The picture below is what I’m hoping to get close to. I’m not adding the dome because I’m sure, from past project, with a full ceiling, the kitties will try to sit and sleep on it! I agree with granny square that the basket is too big but I was hoping the baby would be able to sleep in it for a longer period of time. That was my thinking when I was planning the project. I used wire in a kitty bed project (pictured below) and it is a project I won’t want to repeat. I will google wood splints and study how that is done. I like that idea. I’m not sure what you mean by “pinched stitches!” Does it mean decrease stitches? One problem I didn’t mention.in my original post, is at the head and feet (curved sides)they are bowing out. My thought is I need to increase a stitch or two at the curved head and foot and decrease two stitches at the sides to get rid of the wavy look. The recommended  hook size is 9mm or 10mm so I started with the 9mm. I will go done to 8mm. My stitches are very tight as I have to insert a 6mm hook into the space before I can get the 9mm hook in (and I have a blister on my middle finger!). I have been very mindful of the slip stitch and although I can’t get it to be an invisible join (as much as I try) the Vsc makes it easier to see where that first stitch is. I also use markers. I have learned from past project. I will start ripping out! Thank you both so much for your guidance.

1D514C4F-28D9-4FA1-ACA4-48E740CA6533.jpeg

88B7EED8-1349-42B8-81C0-6D1AEF204ED2.jpeg

99B4640C-A214-4145-ADD9-C572FD84AA27.jpeg

The Moses basket photo you are aiming for is adorable, as is your cat house!

I wasn't clear, sorry - I didn't mean to say the basket was 'too big', what I thinking (but didn't explain) was it would be easier to make a tiny basket stiff enough to stand up by itself, versus a big one.  (but tiny baskets won't hold babies!)

And wood splints - what I meant was that 99% of baskets are made of sturdy wood (or reed) strips/splints, not floppy 'wool'.  I didn't mean to integrate wood pieces with crochet.

That kitty bed is a hilarious design, but I'd be afraid of wire ends going astray and hurting you or the cat.  Really, crochet fabric in fluffy, floppy yarn is not meant to be 3-D or 'sturdy' on any scale on it's own, unless you've stuffed it with fiberfill for a toy, or stuffed it with YOU for a hat or sweater (but then it isn't "on it's own", is it?). That's where I was trying to lead you with suggesting investigating clothesline crochet, it can add more structure to the yarn which covers it, to help it hold a shape, up to a point, like wires but safer. 

Also, something I brought up in my earlier post but erased, but will repeat after seeing the final design - which has handles.  I'm not a structural engineer, but  I really question whether the tiny slivers of wood around each hole in the wood bottom, which are the only support for the weight of the baby - are adequate.  What happens if those slivers break?  :eek   If it didn't have handles, and you had to pick up basket + baby as you would a swaddled baby, then it would probably be reasonably safe, but then why not have an integrated, 1 piece crocheted bottom and sides, and handles, which would be safe, and basically the design of a shallow but sturdy 100% crochet market bag .  I hope I'm wrong re: wood bottom connection integrity, and I don't mind if you think of me as that crazy old lady on the internet.  :hook 

So did you purchase the pattern from maybe here.   I found the following comment.

"The pattern was easy to follow. My board had too many holes too close together to work it without modification. Fortunately the shop owner was able to offer me suggestions for making it work. Could not get hood to work out, so settled to do an open basket."

Sounds like you have the same problem.  When you purchase a pattern its always a good idea to contact the seller if you need help.  Wonder if the "suggestion" was to skip working into some of the holes in the bottom or to make decreases on the second row.

Ohhh, it's a gift/decorative basket, so not meant for hauling babies (would make a cute 'toy box' too, to corral stuffed animals/dolls as baby gets older).  I feel better about the safety issue, plus it occurred to me later ?how would you wash that with the wood bottom? since you can't wipe it down like a vinyl or wood bassinet or baby carrier.

Edited by Granny Square

You are so right about the holes in the wooden base. I did not think of that!😳😩 I have to think about not adding the handles. I’m hoping to by a rocking stand for it to sit on. I did miss, where you were trying to head my thoughts, to use reed to make this size basket instead of a woolen/ T-shirt material basket. When you mentioned the wooden reeds I was thinking of laying them on top of the rows and crocheting over them to make it more sturdy and cut out the ripples, like I did with the wire for the cat bed (wire was a horrible material to work with and I had to bury the twisted ends to protect the cats) I did order the reeds before I read your post. 😢 Do you think that will help? I have ripped out rounds two and up. I will do round two using a sc instead of the Vsc. The pattern said I could use either stitch for round two. I think it will help solve the problem of the head and foot ends bowing out. I will do three rounds of grey, five rounds of grey and pink and end with three rounds of grey. I’m still thinking the reed in between each round will stop any ripples. I will decrease two along the sides, spaced evenly (one on each side of the middle and were it starts to curve. Thank you so very much for your suggestions and bringing up the great point about the handles. I don’t want to drop my future granddaughter. 

Oh dang, I hope you can cancel the order for the wood, I did not mean that you should use wood pieces for stiffening crochet, especially anywhere near a baby (that sounds as unsafe as your cat house wires, probably more so as a baby could probably grab and extract the wood pieces) -- I meant typical baskets (not having anything to do with babies) are made of wood, not yarn, because yarn by itself is unsuitable for the task.  I'm sorry if my earlier wording wasn't  clear on that.

This item is not designed for a baby to be IN, it's designed as a decorative basket to hold baby shower gifts, or or baby toys.  I suggest shopping for a  rocking cradle or bassinet that has all the proper safety approvals for baby use, and buy (or crochet) lots of baby toys to fill the basket.

Edit, crocheting over clothesline is the only safe thing I know of, or would suggest, to make a crochet basket sturdier.  This is a technique that has been around a long time, I believe.

Edited by Granny Square

to granny square:
I just saw your second post. It is being made for my granddaughter, due in April. What a wonderful idea for use once she grows out of it! FANTASTIC! About washing; I purchased a mattress sized for the size of finished basket. I purchased a number of sheets to fit the mattress. Okay, I can cancel the reed.

to Brenda,

I didn’t purchase the pattern from that shop on Etsy. I will see if I can get in touch with them to buy the pattern. Then I can reach out and ask questions. Thank you for your search to help answer this problem. The page I looked at was for the costume made basket and not a pattern.