I purchased a crochet kit for a cat and I am very confused on the instructions

Crystal Vander Borgh

Question

The instructions say 

Rnd 1 (RS): With CA (white), ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook-- 6 sts.

Is it saying chain two and then use those two as the foundation chain and then do your 6 single crochet on the 2nd chain? Or is it saying chain two six single crochets as in in like two rows of six crochet, but then it wouldn't be 6 stitches??? I'm a beginner so I'm probably reading it wrong but can someone please walk me through how I would go about this.

4 answers to this question

Good morning!

So the    ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook-- 6 sts    sounds like you will start working in some kind of round?  Those first 2 chains will indeed be your foundation, you'll work your first 6 singles in one chain and proceed from there.  Curious if you join them all together after that, or if you chain and turn and increase up from there like you would with a shawl or something similar? *Just a slice of advice for whatever it's worth, since the pattern mentions right side (RS) - might want to take a stitch marker or something similar and mark that right side facing up so you'll remember later which is which.  Not saying that I personally know anything about this, buuuutttt ... 😂

Hope all this makes sense 🧡

@LeapyearCynthia

Thank you so much!! I don't know why it confused me so much 😅. And the next is 2 sc in each st around--12 sts. This is my first time crocheting anything so I'm not sure if it's like a shawl. It also does say to place a stitch marker after Rnd 1. But I didn't know that it said that because of the specified side so I'll keep that in mind. Tysm I really appreciate the advice. 😄

Things in the round, like your toy, do not have a foundation chain like you are thinking for something worked in rows for example.  Your pattern's 'chain 2, 6 SC in the second chain from the hook' is very common ( this would take the place of a 'magic circle' mentioned above), but there are no sides, except inside and outside of the cat.  You are starting from a pinpoint, and working around that, initially working in a circle that will (probably eventually become a ball for the head.  The same side will always be facing you (exceptions are rare, I'm only recalling seeing it in lace doilies).

Crystal mentioned a stitch marker - a very good idea when working in a spiral, as most toys are.  Unlike something worked flat, like a shawl or a blanket, there are no 'left and right sides' to tell you you've reached the end of the 'row' after the first round, it all looks the same.  If the stitch marker is initially placed in the very first stitch, you will need to move the stitch marker 'up' each round, to mark the first stitch of the next round.