Crochet Thread Tail Is Where????

LeapyearCynthia

Question

Hey y'all - I'm thinking I may have gone off the deep end by deciding to tackle a treetop angel project with #10 thread and a teensy-tinsy 1.50mm steel hook 😄

Anyhoo, what I really need to know is where to find the tail on this behemoth roll of thread (ya think I might've gotten a bigger one?? 😂)  I've looked and looked, can't see anything that even resembles a tail and I hate to cut into it.

Never in my life used thread this small or a cone this big to crochet with, we will see if I keep my sanity intact!

6 answers to this question

You're not off the deep end, or if so I'm there with you (I'm a threadie).  But ummm...interesting question.  It sounds like you got one of those 'football' sized balls, where the yardage is over a  mile (2730 yards)?  I've gone thru a couple of those, and a ton of 'little' 400 yard ones, but I don't recall having trouble ever finding an end--it's always been right there on the outside when you pull the plastic cover off.  You're not thinking the ball is center pull, are you?  The thread is wrapped around a cardboard 'spool', what a nightmare center pull would be--it would collapse in a tangled mess from heck otherwise.

@Granny Square

Why yes, yes it is.  It's 2730 yards!! Should be enough to do an angel or ten 😂

I royally screwed up my post and managed to double-post without the picture so I'm adding it now (shouldn't try to do this sort of thing at the end of a very long week!)  I was thinking I would leave the plastic on to help keep it clean but I suppose not if that means getting to the tail. 

Since it is going in the truck with me, I'm thinking I may cut the corner off a ziploc baggie and run the tail through in the same fashion as a yarn bowl.  Maybe that will keep the white halfway clean. 🤔 

And I'm going digging for the tail now.  Thanks for your help 🧡 

20220107_182333.jpg

20220107_190849.jpg

Edited by LeapyearCynthia
Added info

Pretty angel pattern!  I don't have a brand new ball, but I tried a new-ish one and it fit in a gallon bag zipped.   (I keep my removed labels rolled up inside my thread balls, jumbo and little ones; never needed to refer to them really but you never know.)

Edited by Granny Square

I love those big balls of thread!  Yep going to have to take plastic and paper wrapper off.  I tuck my paper wrappers in the center.  Its never been difficult finding the end.  The end might not be hanging free but tucked up under some of the last rounds but isnt difficult to spot.  I love working with thread but my downfall is shaping and stiffening.  I have two ziploc bags of snowflakes that have been waiting for a few years.

Yay, I see you found the end!  For any item, thread or not, you're going to need to weave it in at least a little bit, so it doesn't come apart.  If that is the inside of the head, I'd turn it inside out (so odd weaving stuff shows on the inside of the head) and weave it in 1 direction for a few stitches, then turn and weave in the opposite direction for a few stitches.  Assuming this is going to be stuffed, I'd just leave the end and let it be part of the stuffing.

Weaving ends in thread is a major pain in the rear compared to soft fluffy yarn (because the stitches are smaller and tighter), you may need a thimble substitute.  I also have a small pair of needle-nose pliers in my 'toolbag' (small zippered clear cosmetic bag) that I usually have to use to pull the needle thru all the way.

Edited by Granny Square