HELP PLEASE

Brinmadigan

Question

Hi all, 

I am extremely confused. I have attached the part of the pattern that I need help with below: 

DIVIDE FOR SLEEVE OPENING AND FRONT -

19th (25th) row - 4ch, miss next 2 sts, 3tr in next Ich sp. 1ch, miss next 3 sts, 3tr in next Ich sp, rep from * to last 7 (9) 1ch sps, work 33 (41) ch, turn.

20th (26th) row - 1tr in 4th ch from hook, 1tr in each of next 2ch, (1ch, miss 1ch, 1tr in each of next 3ch) 7 (9) times, 1ch, miss next 3 sts, 3tr in next 1ch sp. Xch, miss next 3 sts, rep from * to last 1ch sp, 2tr in last 1ch sp, 1tr in last st, turn.

Work a further 10 (14 rows patt)... 30 (40) rows patt in all.

So does 'work 33 ch' mean that I should work the Ch stitches into the previous row or I should chain 33 without attaching to the previous row? 

Thanks for any help in advance!!

3 answers to this question

Thank you so much! This clarifies alot. One more question— it says work a further 10 rows. Should I work just the 20th row 10 times or the alternate between 19 and 20? 

Because I had previously tried doing the 19 and 20 ten more times and the jacket looked like it had tentacles so I pulled the yarn out. 

Hi Briony, I agree with Bgs--I am guessing you are making a T shaped top, correct?  Where you make 2 pieces that are T shaped, and then sew up a seam on each side, that goes from hem to sleeve cuff?  Because a common way to do this is to make a rectangle hem to armpits, then a long chain which is the base of 1 sleeve, then you work across the chain and across the body and make another long chain for the other sleeve base, turn, and work across the chain, body, and other sleeve , and continue for that total width to the shoulders - there may be some neckline shaping on the front piece that interrupts working straight across, where you work 1 side of the neckline, then the other.

I would assume that 'armpit up' would likely all be in the same stitch pattern as the body--I'd also assume that if they wanted to change the stitch pattern, it would have said so.  I learned when I was starting out, pre-internet and didn't really have anyone to ask if I was unsure of what a pattern meant, is to study the pattern photo - does the whole sweater appear to be the same stitch pattern?

Just to clarify - you should only be making 2 chains, 1 for each under-sleeve...only 2 'tentacles' should be happening, and they quickly disappear!

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1