Issue with Join as You Go Method

Glitteryrainbow

Question

Hello all again!

I happen to have another issue unfortunately with a crochet pattern which utilizes the JAYG technique. However, it does not explain it well enough for me to understand it, specifically the joining. I have attached the pattern below. Do I just start at round 6 with the assembly instructions and go down the list until all pieces are finished? If this is true, why does it state at the end of row 6 to fasten off? Should I fasten off the first motif and then start joining with the second?

Thank you so much for any guidance! I really appreciate it.

pattern.png

FO.png

4 answers to this question

In general, before looking at your pattern, for any join as you go JAYG that I can think of, there is nothing for motif #1 to join to yet, so it sits lonely and unattached until you make his neighbor(s), so all the other motifs but the first will attach to something while making their last round.

For motifs 2 to 12, you join to another motif while completing the last round.  In your case, it's only 2 rows of motifs so you'll only deal with 1 or 2 sides per motif. I would probably do 1 'row' first, which only join on 1 side.  Then, motif 7 will join on 1 side of the first column, motifs 8-12 will join on 2 if I'm visualizing that correctly.

I'm looking down my nose at your pattern not explaining that.  It does tell you how to join stitch-wise, but you'll only need to deal with joining while making  motifs 2-12.

In notes it says to work motifs thru round 5; then join as indicated in round 6.  You would complete one motif all the way thru round 6 and break off.  Then you work a second motif and join it to the first one when you do round 6 but subbing in the instructions to round 6 for joining on one side. Then you make the next motif and join it in round 6 on one side.  Continue until 6 motifs are joined.  Start your second row.  Make a motif and join it on one side.  Next motif follow instructions for joining 2 sides.