what means (N) sc in 3 sts. (N) 7 times, repeat from *across. 

Mariia

Question

Please help me figure out what this means.)

I started crocheting a tablecloth and ran into (N).

Row 1: Ch 7. tr in 12th ch from hook, (ch 7. sk. 7 sts. tr in next) 3 times, *tr in 12 sts, ch 1 1, sc in 3 sts. (N) 7 times, repeat from *across. 

Row 2: Sc in ch, ch 4. tr in tr. (ch 4, sc in ch. ch 4. tr in tr) 2 times, *tr in 12 sts. ch 3. tr in 9 sts. ch 9. sc in ch, ch 9. tr in 9 sts, ch 3, tr in 13 sts, (N) 5 times, repeat from *across.

8 answers to this question

N should be defined in the notes section of the pattern.  It is probably shorthand for a combination of stitches.  Instead of writing all the stitches out each time in the pattern it is easier for the designer to just write (N).

23 minutes ago, bgs said:

N should be defined in the notes section of the pattern.  It is probably shorthand for a combination of stitches.  Instead of writing all the stitches out each time in the pattern it is easier for the designer to just write (N).

Unfortunately, there is no definition for symbol (N)

In this example Row 1: Ch 7. tr in 12th ch from hook, (ch 7. sk. 7 sts. tr in next) 3 times, *tr in 12 sts, ch 1 1, sc in 3 sts. (N) 7 times, repeat from *across. What combination of stitches I should repeat?

Thanks

Wild guess, is it possible the pattern writer's native language is not English, and N means something in her language and she 'slipped' and used a abbreviation for the term in her language?

This site translates terms into different languages, I chose 'USA' to enter the site so it's translating US English to UK English right now, but you can pick another language, and see if any words come up that start with an N that might be a possibility.  Or look at the pattern photo at that spot and see if you can guess what it might possibly be, sometimes this has answered a question for me when a pattern wording is ambiguous or confusing.

Did you purchase the pattern?  If so contact the seller or designer.  If its a free pattern on the internet give us the link so we can look at it.  If not give us the name of the pattern and designer so we can research it.  Right now we dont have enough info to help you.  We have no way of knowing what N is supposed to be.

13 minutes ago, bgs said:

Did you purchase the pattern?  If so contact the seller or designer.  If its a free pattern on the internet give us the link so we can look at it.  If not give us the name of the pattern and designer so we can research it.  Right now we dont have enough info to help you.  We have no way of knowing what N is supposed to be.

Yes, thank you.
I would be very grateful if you could help me.
It's from a magazine Ondori Crochet Lace ....if it can help

42_Ondori Crochet Lace 1982_5.jpg

42_Ondori Crochet Lace 1982_23.jpg

42_Ondori Crochet Lace 1982_24.jpg

42_Ondori Crochet Lace 1982_71.jpg

Gorgeous pattern! 

I STRONGLY encourage you to learn to read diagrammed patterns like this, if you want to work threadwork lace.  It is so much less confusing--the symbols for the stitches 'sort of' look like the stitches, aren't difficult to learn, and you can see just where the stitches are supposed to go--the diagram 'looks like' your fabric.  Here is a link to stitch symbols (US terms).

After typing the above, I 'blew up' the written part to 200% so I could read it - it's a pretty poor scan.  Did you realize that from row 17 to the end, you HAVE to follow the chart?  The chart is easier to read without blowing it up because the stitch symbols are (mostly) bigger than the text's letters.

If you have never followed a chart, my advice is to find a pattern for a smaller charted doily project to practice on first.  A tablecloth is a HUGE endeavor (yours takes 22 balls of size 20 thread, and a teensy hook), and it would be better to find out you hate charts, or filet, or threadwork in general on a small project than an immense one like this. 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:56 PM, Granny Square said:

Gorgeous pattern! 

I STRONGLY encourage you to learn to read diagrammed patterns like this, if you want to work threadwork lace.  It is so much less confusing--the symbols for the stitches 'sort of' look like the stitches, aren't difficult to learn, and you can see just where the stitches are supposed to go--the diagram 'looks like' your fabric.  Here is a link to stitch symbols (US terms).

After typing the above, I 'blew up' the written part to 200% so I could read it - it's a pretty poor scan.  Did you realize that from row 17 to the end, you HAVE to follow the chart?  The chart is easier to read without blowing it up because the stitch symbols are (mostly) bigger than the text's letters.

If you have never followed a chart, my advice is to find a pattern for a smaller charted doily project to practice on first.  A tablecloth is a HUGE endeavor (yours takes 22 balls of size 20 thread, and a teensy hook), and it would be better to find out you hate charts, or filet, or threadwork in general on a small project than an immense one like this. 

Thank you so much
I will try to make this pattern following your advice