Help with a zigzag pattern. More like waves. Help with technique please?

BikeBookBread

Question

Hello All. I’m working on a zigzag patterned scarf. I have never been able to get a well defined zigzag. Usually ends up more like gentle waves. Any techniques you can suggest that will sharpen up these zigzags?

Pattern is a simple 3 dc, 3 dctog, 3 dc, 3 dc in st. Sport-weight, E/3.5 mm hook.

37C9448A-FB2F-477E-AF9C-BF130C697D3A.jpeg

image.jpg

5 answers to this question

Yours looks spot on, actually; this pattern is a gentler wave than some.  I'm not positive, but I think ripples made in SC might tend to turn sharper corners than those using DC.  The first row or 2, even of a 'steep' ripple, does not look very ripply - give it a few more rows.

Also, big thing to watch out for - count your stitches.  Ripples are deceptively simple but easy to zone out and mess up your stitch count and end up with drunken looking, mis-matched ripples.  Make sure you increase and decrease spots always line up, and that the # of 'hillside' stitches between them is always the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Yours looks spot on, actually; this pattern is a gentler wave than some.  I'm not positive, but I think ripples made in SC might tend to turn sharper corners than those using DC.  The first row or 2, even of a 'steep' ripple, does not look very ripply - give it a few more rows.

Also, big thing to watch out for - count your stitches.  Ripples are deceptively simple but easy to zone out and mess up your stitch count and end up with drunken looking, mis-matched ripples.  Make sure you increase and decrease spots always line up, and that the # of 'hillside' stitches between them is always the same.

Thanks for the info. This is encouraging! I’m several rows in now, and it is looking less wavy, more zigzaggy 😊 

• Like 1