Crochet Graphgans and Yarn Search

coward

Question

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Crochetville and I need some help with a pattern that I bought from crochetgraphlobby.com.  I'm trying to make this blanket for a friend for the holidays, but I'm confused on how to read the pattern.  It's mostly written out as blocks that tell me how many stitches of each color I crochet in each row, and it recommends that if I don't know how to do a graphgan pattern, to join their facebook page.  I downloaded the pattern and then requested to join the facebook page about 5 days ago, but I haven't been granted membership yet.  The few videos I've looked at on YouTube about graphgan crochet imply that it's a type of pattern that starts in the bottom right corner and goes diagonally to the opposite corner in the top left.  But this pattern seems to be showing me how many stitches are done in a straight row.  I'm confused, as I was under the impression that doing it that way would leave lots of tails to be sewn in, and that makes me doubt the integrity of the blanket, even if I use that nifty "magic knot" I learned this year.  Does anyone know how I should go about tackling this pattern?

Also, the pattern calls for Red Heart Super Saver yarn (yuck!), but no store, big or small, has all the colors I need from that brand.  I'm trying to look for yarn at local shops, but I rarely have the funds needed for that type of yarn, so I don't know if I should stick with acryllic or if I should try wool or something else.  Does anyone have any advice for picking out yarn for a blanket?  (For reference, the pattern calls for 4 colors in the Red Heart yarn: paddy green, hunter green, black, and light grey.)

Thanks so much for your time and help!  Good luck out there!

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share the actual pdf, as the document says it's copyrighted somehow and says "do not share" along the bottom.

6 answers to this question

You have been looking at the wrong sites - there is a C2C, 'corner to corner' technique that uses large blocks of 3 DC for each color grid, that makes a (pardon me, I'm not a fan) very crude pixilated image. 

That is NOT what your type of detailed design will (likely) use.  The grid on your design will (typically) be 1 SC for 1 grid.

Re: Red Heart Super Saver, I use it all the time, it works fine for most things :shrug .......  I even use it for pullover winter sweaters, but it's really ideal for a blanket; I get that it's not everyone's favorite.  You should be able to find 'missing' colors at Yarnspirations.com, or you should be able to sub another brand if you can't find the right color.

For your design, in 4 colors, it might be a 'stretch' to use the tapestry crochet - see tapestrycrochet.com, but in a nutshell it is working over the unused colors, not stranding them across the back.  There's only 4 colors, right?  If you made the background black, it might work (only 3 colors, I 'used' and 2 'worked over'.

I don't do much colorwork, but what I do, when working similar things worked back and forth, is I print out the chart in color (I know, old school, but IMO I can't imagine working this from a device).  I cover up all the rows AHEAD of me, so what I can see of my work matches what I can see on the grid - this helps (me) not stray from the design, you can see the color you are placing in reference to how it fits in with it's neighbors.  At the end of the row, I put a pencil 'tic' mark at the spot I ended at, so when I put it away and pick it up again the next day,  I not only know the row I was on, but which direction I need to work.  (This last directional bit doesn't apply to your pattern because it's symmetrical, but I'm just throwing this out there - advice from learning the hard way :(

Forgot to say, stick to acrylic, in other words don't mix acrylic, cotton and wool for example.  It is easy care, isn't going to shrink or bleed.  Look at different brands of the same weight of acrylic; example, if you are in the US, Joanne's* has a 'house brand' of acrylic the same weight as Red Heart Super Saver, they might have something close, or Lion Brand, Patons, Bernat...other brands I'm forgetting.  There's only 4 colors, I'm sure there has to be something close for the missing color.

edit, I just re-read this, I meant to say Michaels' has a house brand (Craftsmart), I've used it to (knit) a cardigan.  

Edited by Granny Square

I looked at your link and its not a corner to corner.  Its single crochet back and forth in rows.  It also said that you get both graph and SC written instructions.  Some people do better with just looking at the graph others prefer it written out and sometimes its handy to have both. 

I also use RHSS all the time.  It softens up after washing and I think its softer than it used to be.  I also like Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn.  They used to have lots of colors but everything I know is precovid and I know a lot has changed.  But even precovid I would have to check out Walmart, JoAnns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby.  Now I would watch and order online.  They run sales and have online coupons.  I wouldnt use wool because I am allergic to it.   

Personally I would not be comfortable using the magic knot.  

You will need to learn to work with multiple balls of yarn or yarn on bobbins and how to carry your yarn to reduce number of ends.

https://desertblossomcrafts.com/crochet-color-work-a-beginners-guide/

https://www.dummies.com/crafts/crocheting/how-to-carry-yarn-in-crochet/

https://thecrochetcrowd.com/crochet-graphghans-picture-projects-tutorial/

https://crystalizeddesigns.wordpress.com/category/graphgan/

Edited by bgs

For yarn, you could look at smileysyarns.com -- occasionally they have RHSS for 99¢ each.  They do tack a shipping charge for every order.

I'd take a look at Michael's or Hobby Lobby's or Jo Ann's house yarns -- it might not be labeled Red Heart, but they always seem to have worsted 100% acrylic.

Looking at the color choices, the 2 shades of green might be the trickest to find if they have to be that shade.

Have you taken a look at Ravelry?  Occasionally people list yarn for sale.

I've gotten older yarns from both Etsy and eBay.

------

As far as actually performing the work, the pattern looks like an SC graphghan. 

I like this Youtube for how to start one

You'll notice that a lot of these afghans tend to squeeze in and not be squared off rectangles.  The color changes cause this.  If you use acrylic, most acrylics can be steam blocked into a squared off shape.