Silly question

CarolL

Question

:blushI'm a bit embarressed to ask this question seeing as I should know the answer to this. I have the hardest time tucking in the tails from changing colors or ending the work. Please give me help on how is the best way to handle this.

Also, I know I should but I have never used stitch markers and my work comes out fine so I was wondering what is the purpose of stitch markers.

I ask these questions because the items I make come out fine but I have been asked to teach a class and I want to be sure I teach this class correctly.

Carol L.:hook

10 answers to this question

:hook Hi Carol,

I use a crochet needle and sew the ends so that I go in one direction and then the other. I get so nervous that my ends will come undone and be noticeable. As for stitch markers I find it impossible to crochet without them when I am crocheting in rounds. Otherwise, I don't use them either. Hope this helps. Have a great day!:)

:eek Oh no!! Crochet in the rounds?? I don't know if I have done that.

Is that like granny squares or scrunchies? I may have done it and not know thats what I was doing. I quess I need to read up on this a bit more.

Gosh I sound stupid.

Carol L.

I use the stich markers when doing working in rounds with sc. I find it hard to find the begging of a round. I also use them when a pattern call for one or I need to make a certian stick for sewing later. OH and I just remembered I also use them when working on an afgan to help count stiches. (every 20 stickes I will pllace a marker when counting. I tend to get distracted and lost my plase a lot this way I can count the markers and know exactly how many stickes there are. Some time I even use them to mark a count on a row.)

As for the hinding of end I use a yarn needle and do as caseymoms57 does.

Happy teaching and crocheting

Guest Crafterlady46

I use a size 24 taperstry needle. Either Boye or DMC. Works fine for crochet cotton. I do it different. I sew mine around the back sts (5 or 6 sts) then on the next rnd I crochet over it. It wont budge that way. It's real easy. Hope we see your work. :)

:c9 LOL you aren't stupid, we were all beginners at one time. To give you an example of rounds would be making a lipstick holder. Actually try this because it would give you some practice and the holders are easy to make.

I do know what working in the round is. I had just never worked with stitch markers before and I guess I was making a mountain our of a mole hill. That wasn't as hard as I thought.

Thanks all for helping

Carol L

I hate weaving in the ends and with certain yarns it is more difficult than others. I prefer to crochet over the ends as I go. If you are able to do this it helps- but some patterns (like lace or open patterns) make it difficult to do so. In those cases, I usually go back through with a smaller hook or a large needle and weave them back and then forward. Then I pull the project tight and snip the end as close as I can to the stitch.

As far as stitchmarkers go - I use saftey pins :) I usually have one lying around. If I don't have one handy, I use a scrap from another color and tie it off or weave it in at the start of the round.

It's more out of laziness than anything :)

Good luck teaching! You're probably just anxious - I think these things are both things that even really experienced people scratch their heads at. I wish ends would just weave themselves in!

heheh.

Archived