Sunhat help

Alice

Question

As mentioned in the intro thread, I haven't crocheted for 20 years and only know the basic stitches so far.

I am trying to make a sunhat for my friend's daughter. I want to practice my single crochet so I'd like to keep it completely single stitch, and maybe add a little fancier edge at the end. I haven't been following a pattern (still need to learn how to read one) so I basically just started doing a spiral and shaping it to fit the baby's head as I went along, increasing and decreasing stitches as seemed best. I now have the cap part finished.

Anyway, it looks OK so far but now it's time to do the brim and I'm a bit unsure of how to proceed. I'd like it to just kind of flow with the rest of the hat (I hope I am explaining myself well enough) and not have to attach any separate pieces. Is this possible?

Here was my plan- could someone tell me whether or not it will work?

What I was going to do was to just start drastically increasing the number of stitches in the next round... maybe two stitches per single crochet? Or is that too little? Or too much?

I'm using 100% cotton yarn with a 3.5mm hook (not sure what gauge, it's not printed on the label) but the stitching is relatively dense so I think the hat will hold shape if I get the pattern right.

Any help/input is appreciated!

8 answers to this question

A good place to look at hat patterns (she has several brimmed versions) is Dot's blog: http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/

Her patterns are pretty simple and easy to follow, and she's available with any help you might need. She's also a member here on the board. This would be a great place to start for learning how to read and follow patterns too!

If I can make a hat following her patterns, anybody can! :hook

I think increasing in every stitch will make your brim *very very* floppy, which you might not want.

I'd work in the front loop only, and increase in every other st. I'd see how that looks, and then either increase or work in even rounds from there depending on what it's looking like.

Is that way too vague to be of any help?? :think

Thanks, everyone, for your tips!

Mercy7, I looked at the link you posted but that seems to be a brim that you have to sew on later. Thank you though, for taking the time to help!

Goldi316, thank you so much for pointing me to Dot's blog. You're right, she has several brimmed hats and it looks like her directions are very clear and easy to follow. I love that she rates each project by skill level. I will definitely start there to learn reading patterns.

Natalie058, I think you're right. Last night I started to experiment increasing every stitch, and it was definitely too much. Then I tried every third stitch, and that was a bit too little. I ended up doing every other stitch and it looks pretty good, although it may turn out to be a bit too much... the brim is starting to get "wavy"... not straight, but kind of bends up and down a bit. I think the crocheting is too tight for it to get floppy. I'm just going to keep going like this and see if it turns out OK. Maybe the "wave" look will be cool... It's a learning experience, I guess! Thanks for your input!

Oh- by the way, you mentioned working in the front stitch only for the brim. I didn't do that... but am wondering what effect it would have. If I remember correctly, it will produce lines in the pattern, but will it affect the shape at all?

actually the brim is made with the hat and then stitched down underneath to make it firmer and fits nicely but yes dot's patterns are very good. i did not realise she had brimmed hats there too. :hook hope all works out for you. i have done some working in front or back loops and with mittens it gave a nice edging like ribbing in front. when worked in front loops the effect is shown on the back. :tup

Natalie058, I think you're right. Last night I started to experiment increasing every stitch, and it was definitely too much. Then I tried every third stitch, and that was a bit too little. I ended up doing every other stitch and it looks pretty good, although it may turn out to be a bit too much... the brim is starting to get "wavy"... not straight, but kind of bends up and down a bit. I think the crocheting is too tight for it to get floppy. I'm just going to keep going like this and see if it turns out OK. Maybe the "wave" look will be cool... It's a learning experience, I guess! Thanks for your input!

You're welcome, and you're right - increasing in e/o stitch will create a wavy, floppy brim [similar to this one], not one that is a flat circle around the crown [like this or this]

Oh- by the way, you mentioned working in the front stitch only for the brim. I didn't do that... but am wondering what effect it would have. If I remember correctly, it will produce lines in the pattern, but will it affect the shape at all?

Working in the front loop only will create a small line, on the inside of the hat, but you won't use it for that purpose. It will also help the brim pull more easily away from the crown, if that makes any sense - it will be more likely to go *out* then *down.*

Archived