C2C

GrannyGigi

Question

I'm working on my 1st C2C afghan and was planning on trying to honor my granddaughters request of half turquoise/half coral on the diagonal. But even with charting it on my own graph paper, I'm confused as to how the color can transition in an even line while still decreasing/increasing. My plan was a 48x78 rectangular afghan. I'm approaching the half way point ( bottom corner of the 48" side) but the remaining turquoise unworked portion still tapers up quite a bit. Is this even possible? It seemed like it was but maybe I bit off more than I can chew. 

Edited by GrannyGigi
Clarity

5 answers to this question

This is "plotting it" in my head, but I will do it out for real and come back to confirm (on a spreadsheet, will just take a few minutes).  I think you need to think of it in terms of the difference of the 2 measurements, let's say your c2c squares are 1".  The difference between 48 and 78 is 30, half of 30 is 15.  So I think you would start with just color A for 15 squares, then start cutting in color B, and color A should stop 15 squares from the other end, which would continue with 15 rows of color B.

It cannot be exactly diagonal, corner to corner, unless the blanket is a square.

• Like 1

What I said is on the right track, I was 1 row off.  The edge color cut-in is 15 rows on 1 end (the top of my diagram) and 16 on the other.  Dark lines mark 10 x 10 grids, color covers 48 by 78 grids.

diagonal blanket 48x78.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

I was just thinking, if that looks a little odd, maybe work a 48x48 triangle in 1 color, work alternating stripes for 30 rows (could be wide stripes), then finish the last 48x48 triangle in the other color.  Or vary the width of the stripes so it looks like 1 color is blending into the other.

(don't forget, I'm assuming your c2c squares are 1", you will need to re-plot this to your gauge)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GrannyGigi said:

I'm working on my 1st C2C afghan and was planning on trying to honor my granddaughters request of half turquoise/half coral on the diagonal. But even with charting it on my own graph paper, I'm confused as to how the color can transition in an even line while still decreasing/increasing. My plan was a 48x78 rectangular afghan. I'm approaching the half way point ( bottom corner of the 48" side) but the remaining turquoise unworked portion still tapers up quite a bit. Is this even possible? It seemed like it was but maybe I bit off more than I can chew. 

Maybe this calculator will help with sizing. Size calculator

Ive worked half and half colors  before but it’s been awhile.  Brain tired at the moment. Might be easier on you to start the decrease while using the coral than switching to turquoise.  Make a trial run with a hotpad size. ?