SAVE THIS AFGHAN

MissDotty

Question

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And oh my, sorry this happened.

Confession:  I've been crocheting for decades but haven't had anything coming apart like this, so I'm not an expert at invisible repairing.   There are methods of doing this invisibly but it is more complex than just 're-crocheting it'. Are you the maker? If this was my blanket and I had enough leftover yarn I'd cut the square out and make a new one and sew it in, it would be a much smaller nuisance than trying to preserve what little was left and trying to repair it. 

If you crochet but aren't the maker you might be able to reverse engineer the square by counting stitches on an intact motif, but again that's having or finding matching yarn and replacing the square.  If this is an heirloom...not sure what to say.  I don't know the reason for the tear, whether it was a toddler with scissors, a rambunctious pet, or a trip thru the wash, but if it was the latter - it was likely caused by the ends being left too short to weave in properly.

Was just about to hit 'post', I see Bailey 4 has the same thought.

Kelsiebee Hi and Welcome!  Could you please start a new thread for your question.  That way your answers don't get lost in this one and Miss Dotty's doesn't get lost in your answers.  Thank you. :)

Miss Dotty here is a tutorial with photos that might help you.  I have used this one before.

http://byrobin.blogspot.com/2015/07/vintage-crochet-granny-square-repair.html

Here is another one.

https://www.ponymctate.com/post/how-to-repair-a-crochet-blanket

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes. :)

Thank you Bailey 4 and Granny Square for your help. Yes this was a Block a month  project that I  gave to a grandchild.  Mom brought it back like this. I had never seen anything like it before. I am going to try putting in a new square. What have I got to lose right.