Afghan

Nancarol

Question

I saw a stitch combination I really like, it is a half double crochet into alternating front and back loop. I was wondering would this work for a blanket or is it too stretchy? If it would work does anyone have a pattern?

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Hdc is a little bit loose, less than dc though. I made potholders with hdc and didn't care for it for that project. This site shows what it would look like. Not a pattern, but a stitch tutorial.

Your best bet would be to make a swatch and see how YOU like the fabric.

If you like the result, here is a secret - make a chain however wide you want your blanket plus a couple of inches (in case your stitches tighten up the chain a bit) turn and work back.  If you end up with extra chains, you can pick them out later - it won't unravel from the knot end.

Another reason to make a swatch - counting the stitches and measuring how wide x stitches are, will give you a ballpark # of chains to make for your blanket.

Thanks for replying to me again, because I am still looking for that special  pattern for that special yarn lol that I bought years ago at Giant Tiger. I contacted Bernat and they could only find one pattern . I wasn’t crazy about it.The gauge on the label is 11 sc in 12 rows using a 6mm hook.

Thanks again 

The gauge on the label (is usually) in US SC, and sort of an 'average', so your gauge may be a tiny bit different.  Does the yarn say what weight the yarn is, example US $4 is 'medium' weight which = UK 10 ply (for example)?  The gauge seems to be close to that, here is the US yarn system .

How many yards do you have of that yarn?  Another reason to make a swatch is to figure out how much yarn you will need for the blanket size you were thinking of.  A 'sort of accurate-ish' way to figure that out would be to make a 6" square swatch, mark the end of the yarn coming out of the swatch, and unravel it, and measure the yards or meters of yarn you used.  A 6" square is one fourth of a square foot, if that is counterintuitive, imagine four 6" squares, then place 2 over 2 to make one 12" square.

Example, here is a HDC blanket pattern that is 30"x38 (pretty small) that takes 1300-1400 yards of Aran weight yarn.  The average 'sofa throw' is usually 60' x 48' or 2880 sq. inches, this pattern is a little over a third of that, 1140"sq inches, that squares with my experience of needing 3000-4000 yards for a sofa throw (would depend on the stitch, your tension, etc.

Thanks for replying to me again, because I am still looking for that special  pattern for that special yarn lol that I bought years ago at Giant Tiger. I contacted Bernat and they could only find one pattern . I wasn’t crazy about it.The gauge on the label is 11 sc in 12 rows using a 6mm hook.

Thanks again 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I though it might be bulky based on the gauge of 11 sts across and 12 rows (big stitches).  How many skeins do you have?  If just the one, that isn't enough for a blanket, hat and scarf and maybe mittens too perhaps.

Another blanket pattern, not 'your' stitch or brand but in the same weight, takes 8 skeins of Red Heart Chunky, and makes a "sofa size" blanket 45"x55".  This brand has 178 yds per skein, so 1424 yards (I just picked one of the first ones I found, plus this stitch looks nice and is super easy).  You can do your own search on the Yarnspirations site, link is to all bulky weigh yarns they carry (which is most of the US brands); pick one of the bulky weight yarns and there will be patterns listed by weight category if you scroll down (I am probably missing something, but I couldn't find a way to narrow the list to 1 list of all blankets for all bulky weight brands they carry.)