Crochet instructions

Lucy o

Question

I have a pattern that says

row 2: chain 2, [(dc1, ch1, sk1), continue pattern for entire row]. Sl st to join-136st

the ch 2 is confusing me, is that supposed to count as first dc? Am I working dc in the first st with chain 2? 

help!

4 answers to this question

This appears to be done in the round, but not in a spiral.  (it should say round 1 not row 1...)  Meaning, at the end of a round, you join to the beginning of the round, then chain up (yes, the turning chain, but no turning), and start another row.  The turning chain is to bring the yarn up to the level of the next row/round, it doesn't have to involve turning.

BGS just replied as I was about to hit post.  What she said is true when you are working flat and turning but not when you are working in the round, not turning, and joining and chaining up from the same stitch you joined to.  

Working DC flat and turning 'normally', you work to the end of the row, chain x, turn, and skip the first chain because the chain is not IN a stitch, but ACTs like it is.

If you worked flat to the end of the row, turned, inserted your hook into the first stitch (the last stitch you made on the prior row) and chained up - this would not increase a stitch.  This is 'not conventional' (it also makes a little bump on the side), but it is essentially the same thing as working in a round and joining the round in the first stitch of the round and chaining up - no stitches need to be skipped. because the chain IS in (coming out of) the first stitch.

Hope that makes sense...

Scanned it too quick and missed the sl st join.  Took them at their word it was a row. 

One thing to be mindful of when working in the round is that slip stitch join.  When you are working that next round and get back to your slip stitch join its easy to think its a stitch you should work into but its not.  If you do your stitch count will be off.

Edited by bgs