Help! Confusing pattern need deciphering

Laura27

Question

Hi everyone, struggling to work out this pattern for a leg. 

I've got the chain 5 to start, then after that I'm confused. I start in second chain from hook, so I have 4 chains to complete. How many in each chain? 

It says inc, 2sc, 4sc in one loop, 2sc. 

Also anyone know what the little np sign means at the end? 

Help much appreciated :)

79E314BF-3B40-41E5-BB71-74EEEFD2E241.png

13 answers to this question

I think this pattern was written by a not-native-English speaker, or written in another language and run through a translator program.  Also a clue at the end where it says 'in the same way we knit...", in some languages (Russian is one) the same word is used for both knit and crochet.

No clue what p or np means, the p or pp near the beginning might mean 'round' or 'rounds'.  Wild guess np might be 'don't turn', or 'don't join'

Forward displacement suggests working a post stitch, but again guessing.  In one loop - guessing back loop.

There are a lot of well written self published free and not-free patterns out there, but in he Help section here we have run into a lot of astonishingly poorly written not-free patterns.  And there are probably many well written ones in other languages that don't get translated well, unfortunately.  My advice - stick to patterns from tech-edited sources (like DRG publications [Annie's Attic, Crochet! and Crochet World] or Leisure Arts in the US, or a yarn company [Lion Brand, Yarnspirations] ).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think this pattern was written by a not-native-English speaker, or written in another language and run through a translator program.  Also a clue at the end where it says 'in the same way we knit...", in some languages (Russian is one) the same word is used for both knit and crochet.

No clue what p or np means, the p or pp near the beginning might mean 'round' or 'rounds'.  Wild guess np might be 'don't turn', or 'don't join'

Forward displacement suggests working a post stitch, but again guessing.  In one loop - guessing back loop.

There are a lot of well written self published free and not-free patterns out there, but in he Help section here we have run into a lot of astonishingly poorly written not-free patterns.  And there are probably many well written ones in other languages that don't get translated well, unfortunately.  My advice - stick to patterns from tech-edited sources (like DRG publications [Annie's Attic, Crochet! and Crochet World] or Leisure Arts in the US, or a yarn company [Lion Brand, Yarnspirations] ).

Thank you so much for your reply.

I guessed it may be pattern from different country, I'm not a beginner (no expert either)  this is one of the hardest written ones I've tried to follow.

I guess the p at the beginnings were round numbers, I managed to work out the arm pattern ok but this one I can't. 

I felt if I could get a grasp of first round I could work out the rest. Struggling though it looks to me like I don't have enough chains to complete what its asking of in round 1. 

Really nice free pattern for a spiderman, it's a shame I always try and have a go but this one I may have to stand defeated with 😔

I looked at the pattern at the website and she gave many of the abbreviations but not that one.  There was a place for comments so you could try asking there.  I think she is on instagram and has videos but I gave up searching.  If you figure it out please let us know what it means.

17 minutes ago, bgs said:

I looked at the pattern at the website and she gave many of the abbreviations but not that one.  There was a place for comments so you could try asking there.  I think she is on instagram and has videos but I gave up searching.  If you figure it out please let us know what it means.

Thank you so much for having a look, much appreciated.

I also checked her abreviations had no joy either. I did comment under the pattern I don't know if her comments are private as it hasn't appeared. Hopefully get a response though. 

I seen it linked to Pinterest no others have commented at all on there either. 

I am not on Instagram but ill definitely try to find her videos, if I see what she is doing it might explain things. 

I'll definitely post if I find out any more, thanks so much! 

I am not on Instagram either so couldnt get very far but thats how I got to the videos.

Hey look here.  Go down to increase.  Looks like what we are seeing as np is Russian abbreviation for increase.  The pattern was run thru a translator which often leaves patterns with a combination of both languages.

13 minutes ago, bgs said:

I am not on Instagram either so couldnt get very far but thats how I got to the videos.

Hey look here.  Go down to increase.  Looks like what we are seeing as np is Russian abbreviation for increase.  The pattern was run thru a translator which often leaves patterns with a combination of both languages.

This is great, thank you! Great to know for future first time I've seen that np sign. 

Might just be something wrong with translation that's why I can't understand. 

When I read first part - ch5, second from hook, inc, 2sc, 4 in one loop, 2sc, np

Im reading that I should have 7 chains to work that on to fit that in? But I only have 4. Assuming the last np is another inc. Trying my best to work it out might have to wait on reply from creator hopefully hear back from them soon. 

1 hour ago, Laura27 said:

This is great, thank you! Great to know for future first time I've seen that np sign. 

Might just be something wrong with translation that's why I can't understand. 

When I read first part - ch5, second from hook, inc, 2sc, 4 in one loop, 2sc, np

Im reading that I should have 7 chains to work that on to fit that in? But I only have 4. Assuming the last np is another inc. Trying my best to work it out might have to wait on reply from creator hopefully hear back from them soon. 

When I first saw this pattern I shook my head and thought "oh no its going to be a humdinger to figure out".  I like to run original patterns thru a translator myself and then find a chart with crochet terms in the language and compare it to the original and translation.

I think you are putting stitches on both sides of the chain making an oval but still not figured out if stitches match up right.  Look at the shape of the bottom of the foot area.

Edited by bgs

10 hours ago, bgs said:

I think you are putting stitches on both sides of the chain making an oval but still not figured out if stitches match up right.  Look at the shape of the bottom of the foot area.

The photo closest photo I can get to bottom of foot can't see the base.

The arm pattern was ok as was magic round much simpler. I found a similar spiderman from minascraft, I might try the give leg pattern a go and try and follow the body from this pattern (if possible) 

Legs look similar so hopefully stays in proportion 🙈

Thank you for all the help you have been a gem! 

3BE020CE-3950-4C5F-BF19-7C83A026802A.png

From studying that photo I can tell it starts with an oval because  the foot area does not appear to start out symmetrically round.

Got my yarn and hook out and number of stitches and chains work out for making an oval.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:28 PM, bgs said:

From studying that photo I can tell it starts with an oval because  the foot area does not appear to start out symmetrically round.

Got my yarn and hook out and number of stitches and chains work out for making an oval.

Thanks for sharing your thought. I was just thinking to try myself with an oval as you say. I got myself peppered before go yarn and hook out. 

It really look good in the above post of your's. Children in house will be happy seen these and would to play with it.  How about starting a business? I'm in city of Delaware and I gone through Delaware LLC Search process to start one for myself. Its's a tax-free over here. 

Edited by bellason

On 5/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, bellason said:

Thanks for sharing your thought. I was just thinking to try myself with an oval as you say. I got myself peppered before go yarn and hook out. 

It really look good in the above post of your's. Children in house will be happy seen these and would to play with it.  How about starting a business? I'm in city of Delaware and I gone through Delaware LLC Search process to start one for myself. Its's a tax-free over here. 

what tax free, so what type of business are you going to start.