Granny squares- bell sleeves - how to increase length and with while keeping the same size squares

JKFord

Question

3 answers to this question

Heh.  With real jeans back in the day.  we picked the bottom seam up to a bit below the knee and sewed in a V-shaped paisly (or whatever) fabric hemmed piece of fabric.  What I'm not recalling is if this was done on 2 sides of each leg, or just the outside leg, I'm thinking just outside (hey, that was a long time ago...)

A lot of lacy patterns done in rows or rounds achieve a widening sort of shape by 'sprouting' I've done this with doilies and a v-stitch pattern in a shawl/poncho I made up but I can't think of a way to logically do this with motifs. 

I just saw Darski's answer, I have to think about that; I don't think that  would give the depth of flare you'd need by just widening the last row, the bell bottom flare usually would start just below the knee, so about 4 squares (not rows, squares) deep in this photo.  

The original is a little fuzzy, but it almost looks like there are 2 squares sewn together on the leg on the right.  I'm not sure if I'd trust sewing crochet and trimming the seam.

I'm thinking you need a  /\ shape, about 4 granny squares high.  The easiest (laziest) way to do this would be to this all in black (no fussy color changing every very short row) starting at the narrowest part, something like:

1)chain 5, skip 3 chains, DC in the next 2 (so that gives 1 granny block consisting of of a turning chain and 2 DC).

2)chain 3, DC in first DC, chain 1, skip 1 DC, DC in next 2 DC (so that gives you a partial granny block at each end, and a chain  between them.

3)chain 4 (counts as DC+1ch), 3 DC in chain 1 space, ch 1, DC in last stitch

And then along those lines, increasing at each end in a way that will approximate a granny square pattern getting wider and wider.

The not-lazy way would be to change colors to mimic the squares, but if you did that the first and last granny block would have to be black.