Moss / Linen / Seed Stitches

Coffeywoman

Question

Basically my question is, “Are these three stitches all exactly the same?”  Also is there a name to crochet dc then sc then dc the sc etc, all the way across?

thanks. 😁

Diane Coffey

3 answers to this question

I have seen the SC/DC repeat referred to as a 'Griddle Stitch' whe you are reversing the order with each row (DC into SC, SC into DC) and 'Crumpled Griddle Stitch' when you are working singles into singles then doubles into doubles across the rows.  

I've never done the seed stitch that I know of, though what I can find  it looks very similar to the Griddle Stitch.  

Moss and Linen are the same, both SC with Ch1 in between, then reversing with each row (SC into chain space and chain above SC of previous row).

**Side note- I just finished a cotton gingham blanket in Crumpled Griddle and it worked up beautifully!*

That's a long answer to a short question, but I hope it makes sense!! 😊

20210226_150409.jpg

LOTS of crochet stitch names are ambiguous.  Moss, linen, seed= same thing, basically a combo of 1 sc, chain 1 (sometimes a slight difference in how the ends of rows are handled, but essentially the same.  There may be another name for them that I'm not remembering (edit, granite stitch is the one I wasn't recalling).

I learned the sc, dc, repeat as 'up down stitch' from one crochet site (there are another names that I'll have to look up), there's at least one related stitch that's sc, hdc, repeat and I can never remember the name of either of them either.  (I'll look and come back--LeapyearCynthia beat me to it, Griddle Stitch--I get grit, griddle, and granite stitches mixed up as to which is which, grit is more of a 'shell' type of stitch, it has a nice texture)

To complicate things with crochet stitch names, sometimes the same name is used for completely different stitches.

Edited by Granny Square

I learned the sc, dc, repeat as 'up down stitch' from one crochet site

That is how I know it, too.  It is a lovely textured pattern stitch when done in one colour only and covers a fairly large swath.  If you use variegated yarn or short colour change yarn of any kind, something is lost, you can't really appreciate how nice it is.  IMO, anyway. 

Edited by Horsy