Red Dog

RED DOG

Question

I hoping someone can explain this to me.  On Row 2) ch3,turn work; dc in next 7dc: 8dc. I understand that and the count is right.  Row3). Ch2, turn work; dc in next dc (counts as a dec over first 2 stitches) dc in next 5 dc leaving last dc unworked: 6 sts.  am I supposed to do a dc decrease.  How do you count the stitches correctly. 

Thanks for any help

6 answers to this question

The pattern was careful to say that 'chain 2, dc in next dc' counts as a dc decrease.  So you already 'did' the decrease. 

This sort of thing, where something happens at the beginning of a row which the pattern says 'counts as' something specific, is not uncommon. 

However this pattern is counting stitches in an odd way, so pay attention to what 'THIS pattern thinks' the count is.  (edited to add - this is what I would consider an INCREASE if the chain 2 counted as a stitch, or a 'work even' if the chain 2 didn't count as a stitch, so this pattern is getting the side eye from me).

Normal convention is, a plain DC row (where the prior row was also DC) keeping the count even would be:  chain 3 (counts as a DC), skip the first stitch, DC across the rest of the DCs in the row below AND in the top chain of the turning chain of the row below. You skip the first chain because the chain 3 counts as if it is in that stitch, even tho it's technically hanging off the side of it (this confuses a lot of new crocheters; there are alternate ways to deal with this but I don't want to confuse you - but will divulge if you ask ;) ).

Edited by Granny Square

Often we see a double crochet decrease worked as follows.  Work first dc until 2 loops are left, yarn over, insert hook into next stitch of previous row, yarn over and pull thru stitch, yarn over, pull thru 2 loops (should be 3 loops left on hook). Yarn over and and pull yarn through all 3 loops.  This makes 1 stitch in current row into 2 stitches of previous row.

In this case you only have the turning chain for the row and the dc in the next stitch.  Not much you can actually do right now.  Sometimes the turning chain is counted as a stitch and worked into on the return row and sometimes it does not count.  Row 2 your turning chain counts as a stitch.  Row 3 your turning chain does not count as a stitch.  Do not work into the chain when you you return to it on row 4.  

17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The pattern was careful to say that 'chain 2, dc in next dc' counts as a dc decrease.  So you already 'did' the decrease. 

This sort of thing, where something happens at the beginning of a row which the pattern says 'counts as' something specific, is not uncommon. 

However this pattern is counting stitches in an odd way, so pay attention to what 'THIS pattern thinks' the count is.  (edited to add - this is what I would consider an INCREASE if the chain 2 counted as a stitch, or a 'work even' if the chain 2 didn't count as a stitch, so this pattern is getting the side eye from me).

Normal convention is, a plain DC row (where the prior row was also DC) keeping the count even would be:  chain 3 (counts as a DC), skip the first stitch, DC across the rest of the DCs in the row below AND in the top chain of the turning chain of the row below. You skip the first chain because the chain 3 counts as if it is in that stitch, even tho it's technically hanging off the side of it (this confuses a lot of new crocheters; there are alternate ways to deal with this but I don't want to confuse you - but will divulge if you ask ;) ).

Yes I would like to know the alternate ways.

Thanks so much

Alternate ways to do a DC turning chain, which eliminates the gap when you chain 3 and skip the first stitch:

Chain 1, turn, SC in the first stitch (so not skipping the first stitch omits the gap), and chain 1 or 2, depending on the height of your DCs.  When you come back to this at the end of the following row, work into the top chain the same as you would with a 'normal' chain 3 turning ch.

Turn, don't chain, slip stitch into the first stitch, chain 3.  (on this one, if you chain, it makes a bump that sticks out at the edge)  At the end of the next row, DC into the top chain as you usually would.

There is a chainless turning DC which takes a little practice and finesse to twirl your hook around the right way - google the underlined in youtube, there are lots of videos.  This leaves a normal stitch top to work into at the end of the next row, instead of the top of a turning chain.

Something that I came up with on my own, not sure if it exists under some name and I haven't run across it - don't chain, turn, SC in first stitch. Turn the hook as if you were going to make another stitch in the top of the one you just made - you will encounter  2 upright loops | | on the left side of the SC first--SC under those | | side loops instead of the top 2 loops.  This makes a stack of 2 SC that is a little chubbier than an normal DC, and maybe a little shorter - but I make short stitches and it works for me.  Putting the hook in that spot I described for the second stitch makes the top of the first stitch tilt to the right, so it's at the right edge, and looks nice.  If my description of where I put the hook is confusing, look up 'short single crochet' or 'waistcoat stitch'... either of these should work too.  This leaves a normal 'stitch top' at the end of the next row to work into also.

There may be other ways, but this gives you a few alternatives to try...

20 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Alternate ways to do a DC turning chain, which eliminates the gap when you chain 3 and skip the first stitch:

Chain 1, turn, SC in the first stitch (so not skipping the first stitch omits the gap), and chain 1 or 2, depending on the height of your DCs.  When you come back to this at the end of the following row, work into the top chain the same as you would with a 'normal' chain 3 turning ch.

Turn, don't chain, slip stitch into the first stitch, chain 3.  (on this one, if you chain, it makes a bump that sticks out at the edge)  At the end of the next row, DC into the top chain as you usually would.

There is a chainless turning DC which takes a little practice and finesse to twirl your hook around the right way - google the underlined in youtube, there are lots of videos.  This leaves a normal stitch top to work into at the end of the next row, instead of the top of a turning chain.

Something that I came up with on my own, not sure if it exists under some name and I haven't run across it - don't chain, turn, SC in first stitch. Turn the hook as if you were going to make another stitch in the top of the one you just made - you will encounter  2 upright loops | | on the left side of the SC first--SC under those | | side loops instead of the top 2 loops.  This makes a stack of 2 SC that is a little chubbier than an normal DC, and maybe a little shorter - but I make short stitches and it works for me.  Putting the hook in that spot I described for the second stitch makes the top of the first stitch tilt to the right, so it's at the right edge, and looks nice.  If my description of where I put the hook is confusing, look up 'short single crochet' or 'waistcoat stitch'... either of these should work too.  This leaves a normal 'stitch top' at the end of the next row to work into also.

There may be other ways, but this gives you a few alternatives to try...

Thanks so much for sending me that information.  I am going to try it

You're welcome!  I just re-read what I wrote, and for clarity I'll add a bit of clarity to the second DC turning chain 'cheat' method

Turn, don't chain, slip stitch into the first stitch, chain 3.  (on this one, if you chain before slip stitching, it makes a bump that sticks out at the edge)  At the end of the next row, DC into the top chain as you usually would.