Chrochet Amigurumi

Hannah.R

Question

3 answers to this question

Here is some helpful info on reading patterns. It explains the use of ( )

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

The bad thing is we are seeing more and more patterns written in unconventional formats.  Many times we are left to search patterns for clues and apply a best guess.

I havent seen increase abbreviated as nc before and am really curious as to how or if the * comes into play.  

A number following a sequence of stitches within (  ) means do the entire sequence of stitches a total of whatever the number was following the (  ).

Some unconventionally written patterns will say something like (1sc, 1 inc) x 6, so there the x for 'times' is much clearer than * for those that are used to written conventionally written  crochet patterns. 

* is a symbol for multiplication for spreadsheet users, but probably not the rest of the world.  (I spent my whole career using spreadsheets on computers, even before Personal Computers and Microsoft , so * made sense to me without blinking an eye but probably not everybody).

That * is doubly egregious because it means something specific and different in a crochet pattern; it's related to a repeat but it is placed in the wrong spot for it to makes sense in crochet-pattern-speak.  Normally you will see it in a pattern similar to " do x, *do y, do z; repeat from * 10 times ".  So the asterisk symbol does factor into a repeat instruction, but NOT the way it is used in your pattern.  (what I wrote means do x once, then repeat y and z 10 times)

Edited by Granny Square