Pattern repeat query

Nicolapen

Question

Pattern says

Round 11-19: Repeat rounds 9 & 10.

Do I do 4 lots of rounds 9 and 10 together then 1 round 9 and go straight to round 20 or am I misunderstanding something

There is an odd number of rows which is why I am confused.

In the picture online it looks like there are 5 rounds of holes (made in round 9)

Edited by Nicjane

7 answers to this question

"Round 11-19: Repeat rounds 9 & 10"  means: all the odd rows are like row 9 (because the range 11-19 starts with an odd row - nothing to do with first row of the repeat also happening to be odd, except that's how it happens to work to make this pattern work out right) and all the even rows in that range are like row 10.  You will end in an odd row.  So, your first  guess was right.

So, row 9 has holes, row 10 does not.  Rows with holes will be 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 - 5 holes, plus the ones in row 9, total of 6 holey rows.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "In the picture online it looks like there are 5 rounds of holes (made in round 9)".  I'm thinking you meant something like "5 rounds of holes excluding the round of holes made in round 9"?

8 hours ago, Granny Square said:

"Round 11-19: Repeat rounds 9 & 10"  means: all the odd rows are like row 9 (because the range 11-19 starts with an odd row - nothing to do with first row of the repeat also happening to be odd, except that's how it happens to work to make this pattern work out right) and all the even rows in that range are like row 10.  You will end in an odd row.  So, your first  guess was right.

So, row 9 has holes, row 10 does not.  Rows with holes will be 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 - 5 holes, plus the ones in row 9, total of 6 holey rows.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "In the picture online it looks like there are 5 rounds of holes (made in round 9)".  I'm thinking you meant something like "5 rounds of holes excluding the round of holes made in round 9"?

@Granny Square Thanks for your answer. What I meant when I referred to the picture was that only 5 rounds of holes are clearly visible (it is only a small picture). Below is link to blog post with pattern in if you want to see what I mean

https://www.thelavenderchair.com/lazy-daisy-floppy-sun-hat-crochet-pattern/

Cute hat!

Here are rounds 9 thru19, with holes yes or no:

9=y 10=n  11=y 12=n 13=y 14=n 15=y 16=n 17=y 18=n 19=y 

So there are 6 rounds of holes total - which I very convolutedly tried to say above (and I apologize for not being clearer, but in that spot I was trying to make sure I understood what you were asking)--I said "5 rounds of holes excluding the round of holes made in round 9"--which is 6, 1 before the repeat and 5 more in the repeat section. 

I'm counting round 9 and 10 as before the repeat; I'm not sure if that is confusing, but I'm treating them like the pattern did--first you made round 9 & 10 (the "originals") and then you repeated them 5 times (the "repeats"). 

It appears that the hat in the photo with the pattern was made eliminating one repeat of rows 9 and 10.  The other 2 photos here show them made with all the rows as the pattern is written.  Its unfortunate that they selected the one that was modified to show with the pattern but it does shows it can easily be modified if you want to change the fit.

Sorry, forgot I had to run for an appoint so I cut my post short. 

Yes, I'm also seeing 5 rows in the photo...how far have you gotten?  Do you have 5 hole-rows made? Does the length suit you?  Stop there and go to the next step.  Would you like it better longer?  Add another set of repeats.

I like to make hats but don't wear them much, and I tend to make them a little short-ish because I don't need to cover my ears, and I don't like the hat smashing my bangs to my forehead, so I end up tweaking the length of the brim, or make the brim flare a tiny bit instead of being tight.  For me they are more to keep the drizzle off my glasses than for warmth (I live in the Pacific Northwest US).  My point is, don't be a slave to the pattern if you can tweak it to suit you by something simple like adding/subtracting rounds.

Just saw BGS' reply, I agree (and I hadn't scrolled to see other photos, it's odd they didn't at least mention the top one was a variation and 'advertise' that the pattern was easy to modify to suit the wearer.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bgs said:

It appears that the hat in the photo with the pattern was made eliminating one repeat of rows 9 and 10.  The other 2 photos here show them made with all the rows as the pattern is written.  Its unfortunate that they selected the one that was modified to show with the pattern but it does shows it can easily be modified if you want to change the fit.

@bgs the other photos from ravelry are not Lavender Chair ones but random people who made the item.

46 minutes ago, Nicjane said:

@bgs the other photos from ravelry are not Lavender Chair ones but random people who made the item.

Yes but they followed the pattern and Lavender Chair included them there on her page selling the pdf pattern on Ravelry.

Edited by bgs