Vintage yarn J.P. coat

Eve13

Hello,

I´ve a pattern and there is:

Clark's O.N.T. (5 balls) or J. & P. Coats (3 balls) Mercerized Crochet, size 50.

Please do somebody know how many meters and grams had 1 this ball? I don´t know what yarn should I use. Thank you very much.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, Eve13 said:

Hello, I´ve a pattern and there is: (5 balls) or J. & P. Coats (3 balls) Mercerized Crochet, size 50.

Please do somebody know how many meters and grams had 1 this ball? I don´t know what yarn should I use. Thank you very much.

Due to Covid-19, it's difficult to find this size thread. However, if it's any help, each ball is 250 yards.   

thread.jpg

Edited by ReniC

Is this for a doily, or something where size doesn't matter (like a vintage baby vintage garment pattern?)  I think that photo above is a little deceptive, it makes the thread look (relatively) huge.

Google says...that regular sewing thread (like for a sewing machine) is size 50, however I'm not sure if that's on the same scale as crochet cotton; example I know there is a different scale for perle cotton which is usually used for hand embroidery.

Here is a site that only goes up to size 30 crochet cotton and give the wraps per inch, so that gives a relative size difference - example size 10 thread (which is the most common in stores) is about half the size of size 30, so you'd think a 10" doily in size 30 would be roughly 20" in size 10.  I'm not sure how the yardage ratio would go, meaning would you need 2x the yardage of size 10?  But I'd guess the size 10 might be cheaper per yard as it is  far more common nowadays.

I think I've got some vintage doily patterns that say the item will end up being a different size based on following the same pattern with size 30, 20, and 10 mercerized crochet thread, I'll see if I can find one of those that includes size 50 for a crude relative idea of what will happen if you use a larger thread instead.

Edited by Granny Square
typo

Found one of those 'same pattern/different sized thread' patterns, it's a pattern set of 3 doilies; not sure of the vintage.  Doily 1 & 3 are round, doily 2 is oval.

#50 thread, #12 steel hook: doily 1 = 7.5", doily 2=7x11", doily 3=8"

#30 thread, #10 hook: doily 1 = 9", doily 2=8.5x13", doily 3=9.5"

#10 thread, # 8 hook: doily 1 = 12", doily 2=11x17", doily 3=13"

I colorized it so you could follow the same doilies' size down the thread sizes a little easier.  I'm not sure how helpful it is because it's going to depend on how dense or open your doily is, versus these, and the proportion of change is different between these different doilies.  

6 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Found one of those 'same pattern/different sized thread' patterns, it's a pattern set of 3 doilies; not sure of the vintage.  Doily 1 & 3 are round, doily 2 is oval.

#50 thread, #12 steel hook: doily 1 = 7.5", doily 2=7x11", doily 3=8"

#30 thread, #10 hook: doily 1 = 9", doily 2=8.5x13", doily 3=9.5"

#10 thread, # 8 hook: doily 1 = 12", doily 2=11x17", doily 3=13"

I colorized it so you could follow the same doilies' size down the thread sizes a little easier.  I'm not sure how helpful it is because it's going to depend on how dense or open your doily is, versus these, and the proportion of change is different between these different doilies.  

My scanner has lost it's mind and cut the 'photo' of the above doilies in half, but there's enough to get an idea of the stitch density of each of them - the first doily is on the left.  the middle (oval) doily is at an angle.

scan0021.jpg

Edited by Granny Square