yarn question

Diana Dillon

Question

Hello, I have a blanket pattern for a blanket with a Unicorn on it. I have most of what I need and will be using Caron Simply Soft for the different colors of the Unicorn. I have  a large skein of Bernat Baby Sport which is actually a 3 weight and Simply Soft is a thin 4 but not as thin as the 3. Can I use the 3 for the blanket and the 4 for the design or will that be a problem. I am making this for a g-granddaughter and don't want it to not be right.

I hadn't crocheted in a very long time but have become re-interested in it so a new, old beginner. This is the blanket I will be going row by row because I can't crochet c2c.elp

Diana

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.nZHc3OgTKvU6UaFxjjk8xAHaJ4?w=163&h=217&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.7

8 answers to this question

Depending on how thin the Caron is, you should be ok. 

By the way.  Keep in mind that if you are doing a sc instead of the c2c, you afghan will be smaller.  I used 2 graphs that were used in c2c and made them line by line sc and I used 6 for the afghan. Baby Llama blanket and Stuffy - Baby & Toddler Items - Crochetville

The c2c makes a bigger graph.  

But as for your question, you should be in good shape with the Caron and the Baby Sport.  Try a small square using both yarns and see how it works out.

The c2c is deceiving.  The afghan I showed, if each square was done in c2c, I was told they would be an baby blanket.  :shrug One of these days I am going to do one in c2c and one in sc.

Let us know how you make out.

Your Llama blankets are adorable. I was looking over my pattern today and it sunk in that you said this will be smaller if I use SC so I was thinking of using two double crochet in each stitch instead of the c2c stitch. That stitch uses a combination of stitches but I think I will be OK with the two DC. What do you think? Thank you  for taking the time to answer.

Diana

39 minutes ago, Diana Dillon said:

Your Llama blankets are adorable. I was looking over my pattern today and it sunk in that you said this will be smaller if I use SC so I was thinking of using two double crochet in each stitch instead of the c2c stitch. That stitch uses a combination of stitches but I think I will be OK with the two DC. What do you think? Thank you  for taking the time to answer.

Diana

This might help.

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/convert-c2c-graph-double-crochet/

I have a thought on the converting c2c to plain rows of DC like in the link Bgs provided.

My last 2 projects were 2 (thread) filet patterns on which I decided to smooth some of the solid to open meshes' shaping transitions, by partially filling some edge meshes at an angle.  Seeing the DC conversion of the flamingo brought this to mind; you are stuck with stair-step edges using c2c by the nature of the stitch, but there is no reason you couldn't smooth some color transition edges using the DC conversion because you aren't confined to a square, or all upright stitches.

What I'm talking about is - look at the flamingo's neck and chest, it looks like it has a huge lump sticking out at the base of his neck and a huge hole in the middle of his chest, and the back of his head has a dent all the way to his eyeball.  This also happens with the c2c version, but (IMO) I don't think it looks as bad in the c2c because the edges of the squares are so crisp like they are meant to be retro-pixelated rather than realistic.

In the below, the black pencil circles emphasize the top and bottom of each stitch of 4 in each square.  The top 2 versions are more like I worked my filet, except in filet one color is 'no stitches' (you just chain 2  to finish the mesh and create the 'no stitch' color); after drawing those I thought 6 stitches into 4 might be a bit much, so I drew a 5-into-4 example - this should be doable I'd think (guessing, I didn't grab yarn to test this).

scan0020.jpg