Need help with directions

Nkh

Question

I’m trying to figure out a new pattern and am having trouble. It says for Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same st, dc on each next st across row, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) corner in ch sp, 1 dc on each next st across row, 2 dc in same last st, turn. I’m confused where it says each next st across row and corner in ch sp. could someone please explain this or tell me step by step how to do this?  Thank you. 

23 answers to this question

Each next stitch across row is telling you at that point to continue across making 1 dc into every stitch in row 1.  

(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) corner in ch sp is telling you to make 2 dc, ch2, 2dc into a chain space you made on row 1. Its telling you 2dc, ch2, 2dc makes a corner.  

Are you making something like a granny square, perhaps a solid square variation?  The first time you make one, the first couple of rounds can be...disorienting, it's easy to get 'lost' at the beginning before the pattern becomes more obvious after about 3 rounds.  Think of it as 2 'patterns', each rows has 4 corners=always the same pattern (in your case 2dc, ch2, 2dc), and 4 straightaways, all the same for future rounds except the # of stitches will increase each round.  I'm 99% sure the next row  you will be following the same corner directions, making the new corners in the chain 2 space you just made in the current row's corner.

Thanks for your help.  I'm stuck at another part Row 7: ch2, *(4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) in ch sp, rep from * until corner, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) corner in ch sp.  These directions are different from what I'm used to.  It seems like the directions are going all over the place.  Any help is appreciated.

Can you link to the pattern - is it free on the internet?  Or if it's a purchased pattern, what is the name and source (website, book), with a pic of the finished item on the internet?  It might help if we could see what it's supposed to end up looking like.

What you typed doesn't sound outrageous, but it does sound like the piece is ceasing to be symmetrical, and (guessing) maybe is going to be oblong?  Like you've made the center, now you are going to work on one wing, then (maybe) come back to the center and make a matching wing opposite the first, or??  Hard to guess without more info.  

It’s a flyer that I picked up at Hobby Lobby for a Southwestern looking shawl. Here are the pictures of the shawl and directions. It says it’s an easy level, but I’m having a lot of trouble reading the instructions. They are completely different from what I’m used to. It would be great if someone could walk me through some of it. Thank you for your help. 

9160243A-1407-4ABB-85A9-E60C770F8F80.jpeg

BAE4803D-9EF3-4314-84C2-4222CE3C38D0.jpeg

Does the pattern show a diagram of what this is going to look like, in other words shape and directions? 

I am going to assume it is a triangle, and since it starts with color A which is Ivory, that it is starting with the center of the long straight edge (the spot that would sit at the center back of the model's neck).  (The reason I said 'assume it is a triangle' is that there are similar shawls which are almost triangles, but the top edge isn't straight; either way the construction would be similar, just with more stitches in each row)

Have you ever made a granny square?  This is like half a granny square, with 2 sides and the 'corner' which runs down the middle.  I will make a little swatch of the start and come back...

The internet ate my post! 

What is weird, it remembered the pic I'd attached, as I was able to retrieve it from the 'insert other media' button, which are stored on the 'ville's servers. Anyway, here are the first 3 rows of your pattern - the only difference is I used an adjustable loop to start instead of chains, and I left it sloppily open so you could see where/how it started.  The only comment of something unusual is that the turning chain counts as a stitch at the end of a row, which is usual, but it was a little unusual that the turning chain was 2 not 3 and the pattern didn't say to turn and skip the first stitch (which is normal for straight edges, but not skipping causes an increase and makes the ends symmetrical).

Anyway, I hope this helps?

scan0001.thumb.jpg.f6b2ed182669d5042130ca6307f28591.jpg

Studying this a bit might help.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

I have found that many times I can not read some rows of patterns and visualize it but if I focus on doing just one step at a time it works out.  Dont be afraid to just give it a go.  Unless you are using fuzzy furry yarn its easy to rip it out.  In my life time I have pulled out way more stitches for one reason or another than whats been left in all my completed projects.

Edited by bgs

Agree with Bgs, 'just doing it', following the directions exactly, is something I learned to do long ago, even when they didn't make sense (at least for a few rows).  Most often it was an interesting surprise and I learned a new thing, sometimes it was slightly in error but by following it I could figure out what it meat to say by how it went wrong, and by studying the pattern photo.  And if it makes you feel better, the first time I made a shawl like this I thought it was very disorienting at the very first, as well (it was less granny-square-like).

Also want to point out--on my photo, if the starting ring is pulled tight as it should be, it makes a straight line, so the final top shawl edge won't have a dip in the middle like that .

Hey dont fret over row 10.  Just focus on row 8 one step at a time.  Break steps apart with hash marks or rewrite it in manageable steps.  I sometimes have to rewrite rows to break them down into steps my brain can follow especially if I am supposed to repeat a long sequence multiple times.  I have also learned if things are not working on a row chances are pretty good I made a mistake in the prior row.

Edited by bgs

Could you please explain row 8 and row 9. I’m just getting a bunch of ruffles that look nothing like the picture. I wish they had shown more of how the shawl began. Thanks for your help. 

Show us what you are getting.  Looking at the photo I can see where some rows are going to appear to ruffle.  Its that part where you see the zig zag (wwww).  It will look more like the picture when you get farther along.

Working the questions backwards, working with colors when you can't hide them in a seam, like in your shawl--You are going to have to cut the end of each color and weave the ends in securely. There are videos that show how to do this, if you don't do it right it' going to fall apart and you don't want to spoil your work.

To end an old color, I just cut the yarn about 6" long for the sort of yarn used in your shawl, and pull the tail thru.  This is not horribly secure, but it won't fall apart - it becomes secure when you weave in well.  I tend to do all the end weaving at the end in case I find an error 20 rows back or whatever, because I weave probably over-securely and can't pick out my end-weaving usually.

To start a new color, (after ending the old color as above) -- the way I learned to add a new color at the end of a row is to turn the piece so you are working in the right direction, stick the hook in the last stitch of the old color, pull the new yarn thru (so there's a loop on your hook now), and usually chain some amount to start the row and proceed with the new color.  This leaves the ends not very secure (as said above, above, in case I have to rip), but I've never had them come undone - might be different if you have kids and pets that might get at it.  Another way is a 'standing stitch', you can google videos for this.

Regarding the ruffle, look at what Bgs posted, and also the original photo - all these "V" rows ruffle to some degree.  I make a lot of doilies, and it's a rare doily pattern that I don't have to tinker with to keep it flat.  I think you need to remove a stitch or 2 in each 'V'.  Some scenarios:

(1) remove 1 DC on each side of the 'V' --that removes 2 stitches in each V. 

(2) remove 1 DC on each side of the V and chain 1 in the 'valley' between the sides of each V--that removes 1 stitch for each V. 

(3) remove 2 DCs from each side of the V - that removes 4 stitches in each V

(4) remove 2 DCs from each side of the V, and chain 1 in the 'valley' between the sides of each V--that removes 3 stitches for each V. 

You see the pattern forming...I think removing more may be too drastic.  Try the more drastic one first (3), if if works, great, but if it pulls too tight it might help you figure which of the other options will be best.  Also, the reason for a chain in the middle - it removes bulk, even tho there's a stitch there, it doesn't take up as much room--this is a trick for turning outside corners, to put a chain in the middle of the turn and it squares off / lays flat better.

Edited by Granny Square

I was hoping you could study yours and mine to see whats going on.  I cant really see yours well enough to tell whats going on in row 7.   I think you might be ok thru row 6.  Basically on row 6 you made chain spaces.  Row 7 you are working into those chain spaces by working 4 double crochets around that chain then make 2 chains then make 4 double crochets around same chain.  Like I said I cant see this very well.  In places it almost looks like you chained between each double crochet instead of only between each set of 4 double crochet.  

Look at the left side.  See the 4dc then the space made by ch 2 at the peak followed by 4 dc

20210122_224843.thumb.jpg.9e596b9e7cf2acc08ffcf9ac8be0f19c.jpg

By crocheting with multiple colors do you mean the stripes or the changes within a row every couple of stitches.  For the stripes you cut the one color and join the next leaving at least 6 inch tails to weave in.  

Here is how to change colors for a few stitches in same row.

https://www.dummies.com/crafts/crocheting/how-to-carry-yarn-in-crochet/