Beginner needs help with edging.

Vanessarivers

Question

Hi there,

I am a beginner in search of some help. I am working on my first project. A baby blanket for my baby. I find completed the body! Yay!

Now I need help with the edging. Well atleast getting started. 
 Could some help me out with Rnd 1 ?

rnd1 

chain 1, turn; sc in first sc, 2 sc in next ch3 sp, 3 sc in each 3 ch3 space across, 

Sc in last sc, places marker around sc  just made for st placement;

+working in end row, sc in first row, (2 sc in next row, sc in next row) across to last 2 rows, 3 sc in next row sc in last row+;

working in free loops and in sps across beginning ch, sc in ch at base of first sc, place marker around sc  just made for st placement, 2 sc in next sp, sc in sp between 2 sc, 2 sc in next sp*sc in next ch,2sc in next sp, sc in sp between next 2 sc, 2sc in next sp; repeat from * across, sc in last ch, place marker around sc just made for st placement; repeat from + to + once join with slip st to first sc.  

being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. 

2 answers to this question

You are working back down row you just completed

chain 1, turn; sc in first sc, 2 sc in next ch3 sp, 3 sc in each 3 ch3 space across, 

Sc in last sc, places marker around sc  just made for st placement;

Now you are working down one side

+working in end row, sc in first row, (2 sc in next row, sc in next row) across to last 2 rows, 3 sc in next row sc in last row+;

Now you are working the end where your foundation chain is

working in free loops and in sps across beginning ch, sc in ch at base of first sc, place marker around sc  just made for st placement, 2 sc in next sp, sc in sp between 2 sc, 2 sc in next sp*sc in next ch,2sc in next sp, sc in sp between next 2 sc, 2sc in next sp; repeat from * across, sc in last ch, place marker around sc just made for st placement;

This takes back up other side

repeat from + to + once join with slip st to first sc.  

Break it up and just focus on one step at a time.  

Hopefully the first 2 lines make sense, but gets confusing at the plus sign?

Next row:  Working in end row = means you are working down the sides of the rows, or row-ends; so not into the tops of stitches as you are used to.  It is telling you to alternate putting 1 sc in the first row end, then 2 sc in the next row end until the last 2 row ends, where it has you adding an extra stitch to turn the corner.

"working in the free loops" - means you are working into the loops of the initial foundation chain that you did not use when you worked the very first row of the blanket; in other words, the 'underside' of the chain.

Then you are working into the OTHER row's side ends, like before.  I should have said 2 paragraphs ago, when working into row ends the key is to pick a set of spots to stick your hook into, and be consistent (adjacent row ends will alternate in appearance because the rows are facing front, then back).

Also, a pro tip:  if you are edging the blanket in a plain stitch (like SC in your case) and a different color than the blanket, go around the blanket first with a round of SC in the blanket color, and then a round or rounds of SC in the edge color.  Reason - going into the sides of rows looks wonky, but going around a blanket into all "stitch tops" looks neat and tidy.  So if you do the wonky stitches into the same color as the blanket, probably nobody is going to notice because the came color camouflages the wonkiness.  Then the next row, all in stitch tops, made in a contrast color, is going to look nice and tidy, and draw the eye away from the same-color wonkiness in the row below.

Oops, Hi Bgs!  Playing post tag again.

Edited by Granny Square