crochet in round twists to the right

Nurse Lala

Question

I have taught myself to basic crochet and I am enjoying amigurumi patterns very much.  

I have a pattern for a squirrel with feet that work directly into the body (rather than sew on later), and after working up into the body. the left foot is now backwards.   The pattern twisted to the right so much as I progressed with each round, twisting the squirrel's left foot a great deal.   

Why is this happening?  Can I block it straight?  

3 answers to this question

Crochet has a normal bias.  Here is a past discussion that explains what is happening and some tips for dealing with it.

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/149730-help-keeping-crochet-from-appearing-slanted/#comment-2608152

There are a lot of good tips on making amigurumi here.

https://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/crochet-tutorials/

Sounds like this pattern didnt give enough direction on how to keep the stitches from migrating so that when it was time to crochet the foot it was positioned wrong. 

Yes, it's the nature of crochet to do that; the stitches don't sit directly on top of each other like they do in knitting, it's just the nature of the beast.

The only way I know of  to foil this skew is to work in the back loop only (BLO), not  both loops; well, there's another way, turning each round, but then you end up with a seam somewhere which is OK for some things but might be hard to 'hide' in animal toys.  See my ugly swatch below - the bottom is worked in the round as usual, thru both loops, and you can see the grey stitch, made into the grey stitch below, drifting to the right.  Then I switched to BLO where the red line starts, the first made into the last grey stitch and the rest into red stitches, and you can see that they line up, but also look a little different (which doesn't matter unless you change color, but I think it looks odder with 1 line like this than if you were making larger patches of color, like a lighter colored tummy for your squirrel for example).

671409662_Colorworkspiral2loopvsbackloop.jpg.a7a63ba7f2b0cb0f28038485dcbeb0d1.jpg