Vintage Boyle or Susan bates crochet hooks

Whitey

Question

3 answers to this question

Interesting article. 

I do a lot of thread work, and around 1970-ish ended up with some 'donations' of steel Boye thread hooks from relatives and they have prices stamped on them 10¢, 25¢.  I don't know their vintage, but there may be another site out there that notes the years correlating to the prices.

Not that 1970 is vintage (how can that possibly be 50 years ago??) but that's when I started crocheting, and I bought some plastic Boye hooks (sizes you'd use for sport thru worsted weight) that had the size heat stamped and inked on - they are marked 35¢ so that's the only marking timeline I can contribute.

Well maybe one more thing, Boye hooks with the US size and mm measurement are  undoubtedly more recent than 1970.

I think I learned about vintage hooks by reading books and websites and purchasing hooks from eBay.  I know that Bates hooks with a pop of color on the top are vintage.  Ones with prices are vintage -- if it says 35¢ then it's the late 60's/early 70's.  If they are boye and black, they are WW2 vintage, 1944-45 when steel wasn't available.