Pattern Understanding Help

Jay-Jay

Question

I have a discounted pattern for a dog sweater so there is no ability to message the original maker. 

I’m struggling to understand or visualize what the pattern wants me to do. 

Note: I have looked up the houndstooth crochet method and this is clearly not the same. 

Pattern; Houndstooth Sweater 

Problem; Row 3 

Row 1 

starting at tail, with H hook and cardinal, ch 50, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across, turn (49 sc)

row 2

ch 1, 2sc in first st, sc in each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st changing to black in last st made, turn

row 3

ch 1, sc I  first st, skip first ch of starting ch on row 1, (yo, insert hook into next ch, yo, pull up long loop through ch, complete as dc), sc in next st on row 2 *skip next ch of starting ch on row 1 : repeat between (), sc in next st on row 2 : repeat from * across, turn

Please help!!!!!! Thank you 

6 answers to this question

Row 1 & 2 seem pretty self explanatory. 

Row 3 - It looks like you are forming the houndstooth pattern in as an overlay, in other words in row 3, instead of stitching as usual in the tops of row 2's stitches, you are reaching down in front of the fabric made in rows 1 & 2 and stitching into the (unused loops of the) chain - which is why it's telling you to pull up a long loop.  Reading ahead, it looks like you will be doing this in row 5 and further front-facing odd numbered rows as well, reaching over the fabric into stitches from 2 rows below.  This will make the coat double-thick as well as forming the color pattern.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, Granny Square said:

reaching down in front of the fabric made in rows 1 & 2 and stitching into the (unused loops of the) chain - which is why it's telling you to pull up a long loop.

That reminds me a little of Pot-holders I made for my daughter.  I know my Pot-holders have a repeat  of 1 spike (longer stitch).  I am wondering what that stitch is called?.

Krys

My potholders 3.jpg