Weight 1 ideas

MiaAlaska

Question

Hello! I am fairly new to crocheting. I have 6 balls of weight 1 678yds yarn. I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions on what to make. I was thinking about trying to make a blanket for my grandma and I’m just having a hard time finding a video of blankets for this weight of yarn.

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

Does it have to be a video?  What size were you thinking of making? Did you have a style in mind?  You have about 4000 yards, are they all the same color?

One easy, and very classic blanket suitable for beginners would be a (giant) granny square or a granny rectangle, and would be the sort of thing where you could just keep going round and around until you ran out of yarn or thought it was the right size.  If you have multiple colors, this would be a classic look, but it would work with a solid color as well.  Or granny squares of course, but not everyone likes connecting squares, and I suspect a lot of that-style blankets end up an unfinished pile of squares.  I'm sure there are lots of videos covering granny squares and granny rectangles.  (Contrary to my screen name, I rarely make granny - stitch things, but they are popular because they're easy).

Weight 1 is a fingering yarn.  I agree with Granny Square.  You can start with a nice granny square it is the easiest pattern to use if you are new to crocheting.  If your yarn is different colors, you can change after a couple of rounds to give you a nice pattern.

I was wondering about the yardage Tampa Doll, but I think she'd have enough for a lapghan.  I made a lacy triangle shawl from that same yarn in black, I think I used about 2000 yards and was about 6' across, so give or take the difference in stitch patterns she should be able to get something close to a 6' square blanket.  (to the OP - a sofa throw/lapghan is typically a rectangle somewhere around 5' x 4')

Edited to add - Mia Alaska, something that is not intuitive if you decide to do a granny rectangle.  Example, if I wanted a blanket 5' x 4', I'd start with a foundation chain that is 1' long.  Reason: you add stitches of equal height to the north, west, south, and east side of that skinny chain.  So if 1 granny 'stitch' is 1" tall for example, after the first round the piece would be 2" wide and 14" tall (neglecting the tiny thickness of the original chain)--the difference between the width and height will always be 12" no matter how few or how many rounds are made all the way around..

Edited by Granny Square

2 hours ago, MiaAlaska said:

I’m just having a hard time finding a video of blankets for this weight of yarn

You are having hard time finding video's for that weight of yarn because that is a very thin yarn.  That blanket will be very thin. Usually thicker yarn is used for blankets. 

Krys