Steam block

mdkb904

Question

I am working on a baby blanket and I’m using Carson 1 pound yarn and Bernat baby velvet yarn So I was wondering if I could steam block the blanket after I’m done

Edited by mdkb904

3 answers to this question

My personal view is to say NO.  I think it ruins the yarn, but not everybody agrees.  It causes it to not be 'yarny' any more, it gets - crunchy - is the best word I can think of to describe it, it will not be soft and squishy any more, and will lose it's ability to stretch and spring back.  

I suggest making a swatch with the same yarn and try it.  You want to keep the iron several inches from the yarn, and keep the iron moving, it doesn't take much.  Once you do this, you can't just wash it again and get it back the way it was.

You just added a second post when I was about to hit the 'save' button.  What kind of stitch was the blanket done in?  SC curls, if you add a border you might want to try a DC border, or something lacy, not more SC.  If you do DC, make 5 stitches into each corner so the corners lie flat, I like to do 2 DC, CH1, 2DC to turn the corner more crisply.

Edited by Granny Square

I like to steam block, especially acrylic.  I think steam blocking has two ways of doing it.  I was taught an older way back in the 60's by German nuns. 

Steam blocking newer: Pin the blanket to the shape you want.  Hover an iron or a steaming machine just above the acrylic and pull it into shape.  This will eliminate the curling.  There is a chance that it won't be permanent and have to be redone after washing. 

Steam blocking vintage: Pin your blanket into shape.  Take an old piece of cotton cloth (sheet for example,) and soak it in cold water.  Twist out the water.    Place cloth on top of blanket to be steamed.  Turn off steam setting on your iron.  Place hot iron (cotton setting) onto cotton cloth.  You'll hear the steam.  Pick up the iron, don't slide and place down on another piece of the blanket.  And so on ...  rewet steam cloth when it's dried. 

The vintage method will kill the yarn, make it much softer, drapier, and flatter looking.  Not a good look if you have raised stitches such as bobbles.  But a great look for some blankets. 

The newer method will soften the yarn without flattening the stitches. 

I've seen warnings that you can melt acrylic, but I have never ever done so in 50 years of crocheting/knitting. 

Yes, a border will help with curling.  Sometimes I've added a flat border (all SCs, moss stitch, all DCs) to a blanket and vintage steam blocked the border -- it creates an effect of a ribbon binding because the main blanket is still puffy. 

PS: sometimes a good wash and dry in a dryer creates enough steam to reduce your curling to an acceptable level.  Steam blocking yarns with nylon content seems to me to be hit or miss.