Carol Smith

Carol Smith

Question

I’m making a baby boots and made sole and have done 3 rounds of single crochet I have 56 stitches and it ask me to do this. 1 row:1 dc, decrease- 7 times, 35 sc 

2row:1dc,decrease-5 times, 34sc

3 row: 5 decrease sc, 34sc   I don’t understand what they mean, never seen a pattern like this

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I'm befuddled too.  

If you end a row with 56 stitches (I assume that # agrees with the # of stitches your pattern says you should have at that point), and you decrease 7 times and end up with 35 stitches, that doesn't make sense if a decrease=combine 2 stitches into 1.  BUT...some interesting math...56 minus 35 = 21, which is a multiple of 7 (as are 56 and 35, as well). 

If a decrease is defined as getting rid of 3 stitches for each decrease (like skip 3, or DC4together), that would make sense.  But then the next 2 rows don't make sense.

Is this a free pattern on the 'net, if so could you give us a link?.  It might help shed some light.

Granny Square I dont think the 35 is a stitch count for the row but rather instructions to continue on down the row with 35 sc.  The first stitches of this row with the decreases are dc.  A 1 dc decrease 7 times would use up 21 stitches of the previous row/round.  Then if you continue on with 35 sc you would have used all the 56 stitches in previous row/round.  Does this possibly make sense?

Edited by bgs

Oooh, that make more sense.  :oops

The pattern would have been much clearer if it said:  *1 dc, decrease; repeat from * 7 times , 35 dc (or, dc to end of round).  This would 'use' 21 stitches (1+2=3 for each repeat, times 7), plus 35 dc....21+ 35 = 56, but leave you with 49.  The pattern REALLY needed that asterisk, I was taking it literally, as in: 1 dc, 7 decreases in a row, which would use 15 not 21 stitches for that portion.

Since the OP mentioned she had 56 stitches at the start of the row, I guessed the end of each row gave stitch count, which is why I mis-read the 35 at the end of the row, my bad.

Edited by Granny Square

Yep another one of those really well written patterns-------Not.  What made me stop and think longer about it is it says 35 single crochet but the stitches made up to that point were double crochet so either misprint or maybe you make 35 single crochets.