Stuck on row 4

Smiles123114

Question

10 answers to this question

Is it the LDC (long double crochet)?  I don't have a way of making a video, but the illustration right under it's description is pretty clear.

One very cool but sometimes confusing attribute of crochet is that there are are a zillion (well, lots of) places to stick your hook into to make a stitch.

Are you able to look at the crochet fabric, or the drawn illustration, to tell where 3 rows below the top row is in your fabric?  Since you are working back and forth, and every even row is showing 1 side of the stitch and every odd row is showing the other,  you could look at the V or ^ shapes to tell where you are.  Looking at the Fig A drawing, let's say the current row is an odd row, see  the V shape within the stitches in that row?  And the row below, an even row, has this ^ shape in the stitch, and the row below THAT (another odd row) has the V again?  The picture shows, and the written instruction says, to insert the hook around the previous 2  rounds, which means you have to put the hook into the row below those previous 2 rows.  To do that:  yarn over, stick the hook in that spot to the back of the fabric, yarn over, and complete a very long and loopy looking stitch, just as it says, and just as the drawing shows.

• Like 1

When you are crocheting a Mosaic pattern you are doing a type of overlay crochet. Your row 4 is actually being crochet "Over" the fabric that you already made. It can be done in a number of different ways. That's why I asked who the designer is or if you can post a picture of the afghan. Then I can help you by working up a swap or sending you to a video. :)

Bpokorny, I don't think this is mosaic technique, just as the pattern isn't 'royal', either; it's just part of a catchy name. 

(edit - Tanis Galik trademarked the term 'interlock crochet', and prior to your comment I had only seen crochet 'mosaic' associated with the exactly same technique as interlock [google mosaic crochet, you'll find mosaic and interlock defined identically in most of the results], probably because (1) GaliK's trademark of 'interlock', (2) the original/older knit mosaic technique and crochet interlock both look very similar, and are made in a sort of similar way, and (3) many people do both crafts so it's easy to imagine the mosaic term being used for both crafts.  Lily Chin is one of many designers who have created overlay colorwork designs.  All 3 versions add 1 color per row of new yarn and manipulate color changes by involving other rows. )  edit 2 - just found out Galik's trademark expired in 2019.

Mosaic, also called interlocking crochet, is when you make 2 completely separate fabrics that are never connected to each other.  The 2 fabrics are sort of net-like, and usually 2 colors (let's say black and white), and you stick your hook  thru a hole in the black net with white yarn to make a white net stitch row, and next row you stick your hook thru a hole in the white net with the black yarn to make a black net row.  This pattern is not describing what happens in mosaic, because it does have you crocheting into stitches in a prior row, where in mosaic you'd be doing a white row into a white row, which will always (I believe) be 2 rows below. 

OP, what exact spot are you stuck on?  When I have been confused by a pattern, or if I think "that can't possibly be right", I have learned in 50 years of crocheting to follow the pattern word for word, literally.  Most of the patterns I use are from sources that are likely to be tech edited, so most of the time the directions are right; when they are wrong, I can usually figure out what they meant after doing the "wrong" thing that they wrote. 

I started re-wording the pattern when Bpokorny replied, but thought I'd ask you to pinpoint the part confused you.  This pattern is being unusually detailed about what it is telling you to do, in reading row 4 I found it wordy but very precise.  

Sometimes reading a really long sentence in a pattern / I break it up into shorter meaningful 'bites' / like this / so I can understand it better.

Edited by Granny Square

Hi Granny Square,

I understand Interlock Crochet. I was going by Smiles123114 description and title of her project. That's why I asked who the designer was. :) I have to admit that I was mistaken by referring it as an overlay crochet which sometimes it is.  I should have waited for more info about the pattern.

I don't mean to offend but Interlocking and Mosiac are not the same. I do them both. Interlocking is making two separate fabric interlocking each other and Mosiac most of the time are drop stitches like the LDC in the video that you provided. Its vey easy to get those two and also Fair Isle and Tapestry techniques confused. Here's a video from Ellen Gormley that I like to refer back to. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=what+is+crochet+tapestry+and+fair+isle+crochet&&view=detail&mid=15B0691CB402E3FD1DEB15B0691CB402E3FD1DEB&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dwhat%2Bis%2Bcrochet%2Btapestry%2Band%2Bfair%2Bisle%2Bcrochet%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

I've only seen mosaic used in crochet to be the same as interlock, or as an arbitrary descriptive word.  Do you knit?  There is a mosaic technique in knitting that is sort of similar to the drop stitches in crochet, actually sort of backwards because in knitting you alternate color rows and pull UP a color from the prior row to make the pattern.  Not saying that this term hasn't been borrowed from knitting for crochet patterns, I just haven't run across it.

And I have done so-call Fair Isle (stranded) knitting and crochet tapestry, I would call those 2 similar to each other, but wouldn't put knit mosaic/crochet interlock in the same bucket as stranded/tapestry--yes they are all colorwork but 1 group uses colors from other rows, the other group alternates color in the same row.