Blanket - cut into two?

LAP

Question

Hello, I have a blanket that I would like to cut into two pieces... it looks like it may be two pieces, but I don’t know much about crochet. I think it may be a corner to corner granny stitch? 

13 answers to this question

Do you have a way to post a pic?

If it really is worked corner to corner, or a big granny square worked from the center out - no.  *

If it is made just back and forth in rows, and you wanted to cut it top to bottom from the way it was made - no.  *

If it is made just back and forth in rows, and you wanted to cut it horizontal to the way it was made - in other words between rows - yes but a major pain in the posterior.  One edge would be easy, the other edge would be...more fun to poke my eyes out than try to repair, because cutting the bottom edge is very messy and precarious (one false move and !!!! sort of thing).  If it were me, I'd rip it from the top finished edge to half the size, cut the yarn and the bottom is done.  Then I'd re-make the top half with the yarn I'd ripped out.  *

* The only other thing I can think of that might work would be to secure the fabric on either side of the cut line with a sewing machine (I'd make at least 2 passes on each side of the cut line) , make the cut, and sew a fabric edge around both new little blankets.  I've never tried to do machine-sew crochet fabric, but I know it's possible.

If this were a knitted blanket, it would be a (relative) piece of cake for a knitter to do, because knitting can unravel easily and predictably from either end.  What makes this hard for crochet is that it only unravels from the top, and really a pain to deal with cutting & repairing the bottom. 

56 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Do you have a way to post a pic?

If it really is worked corner to corner, or a big granny square worked from the center out - no.  *

If it is made just back and forth in rows, and you wanted to cut it top to bottom from the way it was made - no.  *

If it is made just back and forth in rows, and you wanted to cut it horizontal to the way it was made - in other words between rows - yes but a major pain in the posterior.  One edge would be easy, the other edge would be...more fun to poke my eyes out than try to repair, because cutting the bottom edge is very messy and precarious (one false move and !!!! sort of thing).  If it were me, I'd rip it from the top finished edge to half the size, cut the yarn and the bottom is done.  Then I'd re-make the top half with the yarn I'd ripped out.  *

* The only other thing I can think of that might work would be to secure the fabric on either side of the cut line with a sewing machine (I'd make at least 2 passes on each side of the cut line) , make the cut, and sew a fabric edge around both new little blankets.  I've never tried to do machine-sew crochet fabric, but I know it's possible.

If this were a knitted blanket, it would be a (relative) piece of cake for a knitter to do, because knitting can unravel easily and predictably from either end.  What makes this hard for crochet is that it only unravels from the top, and really a pain to deal with cutting & repairing the bottom. 

thanks so much for the reply! 
this is an image of the blanket:

F7E91D54-318B-4413-894E-E709AEC0909D.jpeg

1 hour ago, magiccrochetfan said:

Please post a photo of it.  If it was made in two pieces and seamed, you may be able to undo the seam.  It's really hard to answer without seeing it.  

Thank you for you reply! 
I just posted a pic above.

:)

I really do not see how anyone can cut a crochet blanket to two parts..??

Unless there would be a seam connecting two parts together. Than that seam could be rip out.

Who knows maybe I do not know everything..? LOL

Krys

Does it look sort of like this pattern's photos? https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/weekend-wonder-giant-granny-square-throw

This is a single big granny square, it is worked from the center out.  The middle photo without all the distracting colors shows the construction the best, you can see it has corners that form an 'X' shape.  This is what Magiccrochetfan was getting at when she was asking about the 'diagonals'; one could also make this in a rectangle which would have what looks like a center line, and diagonals coming off each side >---< more or less, or one could make one corner to corner with 1 diagonal, would be like 1/quarter of the blanket I linked above (the way it's made, not the size necessarily).

This is one of the 'no' blankets.  If you only really need 1 smaller blanket, and don't crochet and therefore don't care if you throw away some yarn, cut the yarn at the outer edge and unravel it down to the size you want.  Try to see if you can spot where the blanket ended off and cut there, if you can't, just cut anywhere--the first round might be a bit challenging if you can't find the end, but after that will be a breeze to unravel.  With a safety pin or similar, mark where the rounds start and stop so YOU know where to stop, cut the yarn and with a tapestry (very  wide eye) needle, sew the end invisibly into the fabric.

Hi Krys, believe it or not this is done in knitting as part of the process of making a raglan cardigan, it's called 'steeking'.  You make a pullover sweater and cut it in half up the front!!  I do knit, but consider myself a beginner/intermediate skill level...I tried this on a swatch and failed miserably.  I also used acrylic and it's supposed to work much better with wool, but I'm sure it was me not the fiber.

• Like 1

Ah, that's better.  Yes, that's virtually the same as the pattern I linked 2 posts above your photo.  What looks like seams connecting pieces together are the way stitches are formed to turn the corners, but it's all 1 strand of yarn (probably pieced together, but continuous) from the center to the outside edge.  

• Like 1

What that meant's: on those corners that looks like a seams but is NOT a seam. That can not be rip apart because that is one piece. That whole blanket was not made out 4- pieces stitched together, it is ONE PIECE.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl