Morticia Adams Crochet dress w/ U shaped iris stitch cuffs

Skb4996

Hey all!

I just finished my first sweater and second hat and I'm feeling very over zealous😝 I found a crochet dress I'd like to make for new years but I haven't a pattern:( I think I can make bodice and sleeves but the cuffs and flutter bottom seem challenging.

The entire dress seems to be the iris stitch, with some picot edging. I'm trying to figure out how to increase the iris sleeves so they end up in more of a U/bell shape. Any idea?

Also what type of yarn would be best suited for a dress like this? Ideally a material with some stretch (I'd like to stick to natural fibers like cotton or wool)

Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!!

british-vogue-one-year-anniversary-celebration-national-portrait-gallery-london-shutterstock-editorial-9971330u.jpg

gettyimages-1065250758-612x612.jpg

5961154-6369755-image-a-135_1541728051175.jpg

Screenshot_20191015-174127_Instagram.jpg

Hi Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.

Beautiful dress.  You might want to ask in the General Crochet Help section.  I am not good when it comes to clothing.  Mine is either to big or to small.

Welcome to the 'ville!

These sort of stitches increase by...sprouting, sort of.  Example--lazy stitch diagram below, where lines=DCs, - = chain.  I'm lazy and am going to call this a V stitch not Iris

\\-//  5 stitches into center of V in row below (this is a normal "base") row)

\\\-// 6 sts (all into V below)

\\-|-// 7 sts (all into V below, but is the base of the splitting/sprouting part)

\\-/  \-// 8 sts (split in half, half in each chain (-) of the 7 stitch big V)

\\-//  \-// 9 sts (like above, each half into the  chain (-) of the V from prior row

\\-//  \\-// 10 stitches, now you have 2 Iris sts where there was only 1, 5 rows before.

This is one way to do it, you could do it more gradually or more steeply. AND, you will have to engineer the shape yourself -- using your stitch gauge, figure out where you need to increase shaping, how much shaping per vertical inch in that area needs to happen, and so on.  What I typed above doubles the stitch count over 5 rows, so you may WILL have to adjust.  Plan on a lot of ripping/experimentation.  This is going to be a huge challenge, especially since you only have 2.5 months to get it done and you're 'winging' the design.  

Edited by Granny Square

This is very similar and would be a lot easier - just work it longer before the hem flare, this would look great at a 'tea' length.  Lengthening sleeves would not be a big deal.

This calls for cotton #1 thread and a G hook.

https://www.yarnspirations.com/aunt-lydias-dress-with-flare/ALC0114-024882M.html

You're welcome!  Fingers crossed it works out the way you envisioned.  

I sort of forgot the 'Morticia-look' part when I suggested 'tea length' on the pattern I linked, but you will probably want it to not be so skinny at ankle length as your photo shows--would be like tying your ankles together, we don't want you spoiling your look by tripping and face-planting in the punch bowl!  A slit would be a good idea (doesn't have to be daring, but at least to the knee) or if you borrow from the pattern I linked, start the flare lower.

It's very glamorous. I'm really interested to hear how you get on, and of course we'll need piccies of you wearing it. I love the feeling of pure cotton for garments. SJ x

• 1 month later...