Planned Pooling Yarn

MsSaya

Question

Joanns has a bunch of Planned Pooling Yarn on clearance. Can this just be used like regular yarn ?? If I use if for a Virus shawl is it going to make strange patterns?? Thanks for any help, just dont know enough about this type of yarn to understand it.

4 answers to this question

As far as I know, yarn thats intended for planned pooling has fairly short color sections, and the colors are pretty contrasty so the argyle will show up well.   Usually in my experience, when working in regular patterns, the short color changes show up as chunks of color and if you have any kind of shell or lacy pattern the chunks fight with the stitch pattern.  The colors can make patterns like stacking or sort of moire that in itself fights the stitch pattern.  So I personally wouldn't use this yarn for a shawl like Virus.  If the sale price is good enough, you could grab a ball of it to swatch with and see what you think.  

Oh another thought, Virus is a top down triangle, isn't it?  the length of the rows will affect how the colors line up , as the rows change from short at the top to longer at the bottom.  

I avoid variegated yarn for the most part, but I know that Red Heart has some patterns specifically for THEIR variegated yarn.

It's all a matter of personal choice.  I personally think it is ill-suited to lacy or complex stitch patterns, but I'm not the yarn police. 

I think it works best with plain stitch patterns, maybe as stripes paired with solid colored stripes of 1 or more colors matching the shades of variegation.  Or what Magiccrochetfan said, I'm typing slow again :hi