Small Cable Panel Aran Afghan by Carole Tippett

Pbtrav

Question

Looking for help with the small cable panel on the Aran baby blanket by Carole Rutter Tippet.

Here are the instructions to make a small cable

Ch 3, slip st around hdc one row below, hdc in each ch just made [Cable made]

What are the chains made? 

Here are the rows in question:

Row 3: Ch 1, turn; hdc in Þ rst hdc,
work FPdtr around hdc one row
below next hdc, skip next hdc from
last hdc made, hdc in next 3 hdc,
[ch 3, slip st around hdc one row
below next hdc just made, hdc in
each ch just made (Cable made)],
hdc in next 2 hdc, work FPdtr around
hdc one row below next hdc, skip
next hdc from last hdc made, hdc
in last hdc: one Cable, 7 hdc, and
2 FPdtr.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn; hdc in each st
across: 9 hdc.
Row 5: Ch 1, turn; hdc in Þ rst hdc,
work FPdtr around FPdtr one row
below next hdc, skip next hdc from
last hdc made, hdc in next 3 hdc,
[ch 3, slip st around hdc before Cable
in previous Cable row, hdc in each ch
just made (Cable made)], hdc in next
2 hdc, work FPdtr around FPdtr one
row below next hdc, skip next hdc
from last hdc made, hdc in last hdc:
one Cable, 7 hdc, and 2 FPdtr.

Yes, "thank you so much for your research, this is the same cable pattern that is in the fisherman's afghan. And yes, GrannySquare this is that bobble looking bump.

Small Cable.jpg

Edited by Pbtrav
More Information

5 answers to this question

In order to help I think we may need more info.  I dont have and am not familiar with this pattern.  If its free and on the internet you can share the link,  if not you are allowed to post a couple of rows and not be in violation of copyright.  In general when there is a problem we start by looking at the previous row so it would be helpful to see the instructions for this row with the cables and the previous rows in their entirety.

• Like 1

This  sounds more like a picot-ish thing than a cable.  It is apparently talking about the chain 3 at the beginning of your line of instruction.

So a plain picot is usually: make a stitch, chain 3 (or some number), anchor it (with slst usually) back into the same stitch the chain came out of.  So the picot is a little loop coming out of a stitch, often with so few chains that it just folds over and becomes a solid decorative 'bump'.  But it can be many chains and form loops; a lot of snowflake patterns are mostly picots.

This sounds identical except there is an extra step where you work into the chains in the picot loop, so a really robust picot.

On Ravelry I'm seeing 4 patterns by that designer, but only 2 have pictures--Seafarer's Puzzle and Appealing Aran.  Handsome Aran and Aran have no photos (or projects).  The 2 with photos have sort of bobble looking columns that might be produced by the method described.

• Like 2

Granny Square to the rescue!

Some how I cant picture it as a picot (but I am used to snowflake picots) since it says ch 3, sl st around hdc, and then go back and work a hdc in each of those three chains. I am also having a hard time seeing it as a cable but can picture it as a part of a cable pattern.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this crude sketch is helpful or confusing.  It looks more like a diagram of a chemical molecule than stitches :lol H is HDC, o is a chain, and the red arrow is a slip stitch around the HDC (wasn't sure how to draw that).  

Reading left to right, the first diagram is showing an HDC with 3 chains coming out of it, second pic is attempting to show what I was describing as a picot (so the chains fold over to form a little loop or 'bump' when you attach the last chain to, or around, the stitch the picot is anchored to), third pic shows the HDC into each chain ('robust" picot).

Untitled.png

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1