Help?! How do I add this to my beanie?

levithesaint

Question

3 answers to this question

What a fun hat!

I'm assuming you mean, to add to an existing knit hat, not to add something similar as you crochet a hat.

This looks like a (crochet) bullion stitch since I can see a thread behind one on the left side of the hat.  I'd make them separately and sew them on--leave long tails at both ends (I'd be afraid that trying to attach the yarn to a knit stitch to crochet them on, due to the nature of the stitch, might stretch out the knitting; sewing would impact the knitted fabric less)  I've been crocheting for decades and mostly avoid this stitch because it is a pain to get right (it's simple, but very fiddly, and will take a few tries to get a decent looking one).

The bullion stitch is one that is probably best shown in a video rather than have me explain it--there are a bunch of videos out there.  Usually you make them in the middle of crochet fabric, not by themselves, so you'll want to start with a couple of chains for the stitch to "come out of", and to anchor into after pulling the yarn thru the wraps.

If you want to have a raised stitch on a hat it should really be added as you crochet the hat. There are a lot of patterns/videos on how to add the bullion to your work. I prefer the puff or popcorn stitches, as they're easier to get them right the first time. You could make a hat band with the raised stitches in it, then sew it around the hat. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ellie 13

Ellie13 just joggled my brain--do you knit?  My answer was assuming you wanted to add those bumps to an existing, possibly purchased knit hat. 

Agree it would make more sense to add bullions, or popcorns 'as you go' to a crochet hat.  Also agree that popcorns are way easier than bullions, but they do look different.  AND, for a bigger pop-out, work the hat body in SC - the taller bullion, or popcorn, will 'sit down' when placed between the shorter sc stitches - you will need SC stitches on each side, and directly above and below the taller popped-out stitch for this sit-down-pop-out to work.  For itty bitty bumps,  put a treble surrounded by SC.  Makes a cute itty bitty bobble, which looks nice in a row, or in a field of other little bobbles.

Back to if you knit -  I found a video on subbing crochet popcorn for a knit bobble, I do knit but never tried a knit bobble because just reading the instructions on how to make one made me want to poke my eyes out, like the blogger in thelink.  Or, if you can crochet a popcorn in the middle of knitting, why not a bullion stitch?  Also, instead of a treble, chaining 3 or 4 works for a tiny bobble in a field of stockinette, too.

Archived