Help! Novice in need of help.

polly2

Question

I have taught myself crochet over the last two weeks and I think I have done ok but am stuck and I am so frustrated my hubby is getting annoyed with me. I am making a throw and I am on to row 6 but I am stuck as to what the pattern means now. If anyone has done this before, the pattern is Wendy flower garden throw. I've attached a picture of the bit of pattern I am stuck with and what it looks like. I believe row 6 will be the start of the diamond around the outside of the flower. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190128_085816.jpg

IMG_20190128_192036.jpg

1548706391288664001886844901270.jpg

2 answers to this question

I dont know if I can explain it very well or not.  I havent done this one but have done a similiar one and got really confused especially trying to figure out what it was going to look like just reading the instructions but found if I did as it said it worked.  

As it says join in slip stitch between any two petals ch 2 and dc in that space( petals were made by the 4 tr picot 4 tr in round 5).  Now ch 5 but run it behind your petal then dc in the ss between thst petal and the next one.  You are making a ring behind the petals that is not seen but work into ( round 7) which shapes it into a square. 

Pretty colors!  You are doing great for a new crocheter.  

Agree with Bgs. row 6 is making a chain 'scaffold' behind the flower that following row will be built on; this makes the center flower stand up from the background.  Round 7 puts a bunch of triples worked over that chain scaffold, to make first row of the yellow part in the patter photo.

I learned to crochet before the internet, with a couple of hours to learn basic stitches, and I was on my own.  I had to figure things out myself, and learned if an instruction looked odd, to TRY it first, just as written.  I still do this; a lot of times I learn a new way to do something, other times the pattern is in error but the 'wrong'  way leads to what it was supposed to say.

Archived