How do you sit?

DebbiSalls

Question

I just started crocheting again and remember why I stopped before. I love doing it and the products, but I haven't figured out a good position to sit and have the hook and product in front of me. Do you guys prop up the work on pillows? I know it shouldnt be so hard, but my neck starts hurting. Any help is appreciated.

Debbi in Houston

3 answers to this question

My yarn sits in a square basket on my right on over sized chair Ottoman when I crochet watching tv...if I am at work it will lay on table in front of me....if I am in van at work it lays in tote on floor to my right in tote..

Your neck hurts do to lifting your arms to crochet while keeping your neck down looking at work...:) your finding muscles you don't normally use it will get better over time no Mass rush to crochet project and take breaks in between move those muscles around...

I'm right handed.  I sit on right side of the sofa, my right arm (elbow, when crocheting) supported by sofa's side. I always have my feet up on an ottoman and my sofa back is tall and sort of puffed out at the top to support my head.  Yarn is on my left, just because that's where there's a spot for it I guess.

We have guest chairs and a love seat with short backs that I end up in sometimes when we have guests and they use the sofa, and I find it really uncomfortable not to be able to put my feet up and not  be able to lean back and have my back, shoulders and head supported.

A kick-back sort of 'lounge chair' would probably be the perfect solution.

It mostly depends on where I am, as I move around a lot, and crochet any time I am able to!  Mostly, my work is in front of me, sometimes on my lap, if no table is in front of me.  If there's a table, and my work is getting large, I put it on the table.  When I'm in the car, I try to work on smaller projects, as I'm always afraid the floor might get my project dirty if it drags onto the floor.  My yarn is almost always on my left side, because I'm right-handed.

Jayashiangel is correct--your neck hurts due to muscle tension while crocheting.  Roll your head around when it starts getting tired, and stretch your arms out.  And mostly--take a nice big breath, and relax, and enjoy crocheting!  Good luck!!

Archived