bottom wider than the top

loriko

Question

Hello, if the top of my blanket is narrower than the bottom and I am following the pattern to a "t" and there is the correct amount of stitches per row, that is a matter of tension, is that correct?  I am a self taught crocheter and have made this particular pattern 3 times and this is the first time I have had this issue.  So if it is a tension issue, I am using an acrylic yarn, if I block it with steam when it is all finished, will the blanket keep its shape after being washed and dried over time? Thanks you for your input. 

3 answers to this question

Sometimes on a big thing like a blanket our tensions can change as the thing gets bigger and weighs your hands down; or even change if we're crocheting while in a bad mood; or it might loosen up as we want to rush to get this big thing over with already...

I am totally not a fan of killing acrylic, but if you are going to do it, something like a blanket would be a reasonable thing function-wise.  You wouldn't want to do it on a wearable that needs to stretch and recover its shape, because killing deforms the plastic and will cause it to behave more like a woven thing.  

You might want to make a few swatches and play with them first.  I think the biggest challenge will be the size; it's going to be difficult to treat the whole blanket evenly.  And killing part of the blanket IMO would be a bad idea, would be noticeable.  And if it's REALLY off kilter, also might not be the best solution appearance wise.  If you haven't already, pin it out on a bed or carpet and see if it looks odd with the tighter stitches pulled to shape, or if you can even yank them that far, depending on how 'off' it is.  Once you've killed it, the yarn is toast (IMO), so you want to give it a good analysis before you go past the point of no return; it may be better to rip back and re-do part of it.

Thank you so much for your input.  I greatly appreciate and will take it into consideration.  I can stretch it to match, so I will think about it.  Have  a great day.

Did you stop for awhile and started again with a different hook by mistake? I've put things aside and forgot what hook I was using and it came out wonky. Try a few rows with a smaller/larger hook, see if it matches the beginning part. If it works, frog it to the where it starts to change, and redo it with the new hook. Good luck.

Ellie 13

Archived