end of row question

Jody

Question

Hi, I feel this is a silly question but my frustration level has prompted this search for help.

I have begun a shawl using half double crochet. I have two questions actually. At the end of every row I cannot tell if I have another stitch or not. Is the turning chain a stitch?

At the beginning of each row of 43 half double stitches do I turn, skip the first stitch and then continue or do not skip the first stitch?

I ripped out my work four times now and do not feel secure in proceeding. I made the shawl bigger twice and I made it smaller twice. Never did I maintain the 43 stitches.

When I use the ripple pattern I don't have this problem at all.

Anyone please tell me how to maintain the number of stitches I started with.

Thanks, Jody

12 answers to this question

ok without seeing the pattern it is hard to say but from experience you usually do the last stitch in the turning chain and the chain at beg is usually counted as the first stitch. hope this helps you. :hook:)

The pattern is just chain 43, turn do half double in third chain from hook, and in every chain. Chain two, turn and repeat half doubles in every half double.

then i would think like i said you have to do a hdc in the turning chain at end of previous row to bring it level. then the turning chain is the first stitch of next row so as to keep it level at the ends. hope it works out right :hug:hook

Thanks, I am glad to hear you understand...I got pretty upset because I either added stitches or somehow decreased....also bear with me as I am new at forums and a little lost today...thanks for the post!! Jody

There are actually two ways to do the end of one row and the beginning of the next row.

1 - st into the turning chain and then skip the first st of the next row (the stitch that is at the bottom of your ch-2 (or whatever))

2 - skip the turning chain and then on the next row, stitch into the same st as your ch-2 (or whatever)

Either method will allow you to maintain the same number of stitches, but you do not want to combine the two methods obviously.

The first method will give you straight edges, however you may notice a gap between your ch-2 and your next st (which is distasteful to some people). The gap is more noticeable on hdc and dc.

The second method will give you a "poochy" edge (okay if you are sewing the edges together to finish anyways and it eliminates the gap problem.

Just thought I would point out the pros and cons of both methods so you can decide which would work best for your situation. I believe the standard is method 1, but sometimes you really don't want the gap.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all who wrote about my end of row problem. Last night I started again and I finally got it right!! It took like three people's explanations for me to do it correctly but I DID!! YEAH. Thanks so much Mercy7, bubblefizz and crochet smartcat!! (I hope I didn't miss anyone).

May I ask how you all picked your clever forum names? I just used my real name as I didn't think to call myself something clever...is it too late or can I change my username? Thanks, Jody

You can change your username, I believe you have to send a PM to Julie or Tiffany (think those are the right people) with the name you want and what your user name is currently. Check under board help maybe? I chose mine the same as my yahoo/ebay id, simply to keep things simple. Yahoo & ebay helps you by making suggestions based on your interests. Not sure which it was really, because it was so long ago, but that is how I chose my name.

you are very welcome jodie so glad it worked out right for you in the end. i chose my user name on here the same as for my blog so as not to have too many different names. 7 being a complete number. Mercy comes from when God does not give us what we deserve. :hug:tup

Archived