Oval doily in Elisa thread size 20

• 4 months later...

Using size 20?  The heresy!  🙂  Honestly, I don't know how you do it with the sewing thread.  I have watched the videos, but can't fathom how you can even see that small of a hook.  I struggle wit ha 1.00mm hook and size 30 under a magnifying lamp with bifocals.  I would need a microscope to come anywhere near the miracles you produce!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

On 11/13/2018 at 8:03 PM, Marty Hillman said:

Using size 20?  The heresy!  🙂  Honestly, I don't know how you do it with the sewing thread.  I have watched the videos, but can't fathom how you can even see that small of a hook.  I struggle wit ha 1.00mm hook and size 30 under a magnifying lamp with bifocals.  I would need a microscope to come anywhere near the miracles you produce!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

Dear Marty, I am honored by your comment, but what the hell do you mean by "The heresy!"?

Apologies if it was taken wrong.  Know that it was not intended with any malice.  I deeply admire your work.  I was just surprised to see you using anything larger than a size 50 thread.  I have been stuck with size 10 for the longest time because anything else was hard to find (20 or 30) and thread (50) was darn near impossible for me to use.  The smallest hook size I can find in the US is 0.50mm.  That was in a collection of crochet hooks I inherited from my late mother.  She apparently purchased them at Lee Ward's.

I, myself, just last week did my first piece in size 30.  This week (with the new bifocals), I am able to do the size 50 for the first time.  Hobby Lobby had 50% off their Sew-ology pima cotton quilting thread.  A 1200 yard spool was only $5 for solid colors.  Variegated is the same price for 800 yards.

17 hours ago, Marty Hillman said:

Apologies if it was taken wrong.  Know that it was not intended with any malice.  I deeply admire your work.  I was just surprised to see you using anything larger than a size 50 thread.  I have been stuck with size 10 for the longest time because anything else was hard to find (20 or 30) and thread (50) was darn near impossible for me to use.  The smallest hook size I can find in the US is 0.50mm.  That was in a collection of crochet hooks I inherited from my late mother.  She apparently purchased them at Lee Ward's.

I, myself, just last week did my first piece in size 30.  This week (with the new bifocals), I am able to do the size 50 for the first time.  Hobby Lobby had 50% off their Sew-ology pima cotton quilting thread.  A 1200 yard spool was only $5 for solid colors.  Variegated is the same price for 800 yards.

Hi Marti, had to make this doily in thread size 20 as it was a present for my sister in law. She wanted something compact for this big oval table which she could just push aside when the table is not used by the whole family including myself when I am a guest in their house!

By the way here is one of my latest, the pink whirlpool centerpiece done with variegated Gütermann C Ne 50 sewing thread in the colour of gold-beige-brown. The doily has 53 rounds and measures 27cm (10,5inch) in diameters.

My book "fadenkunst" is now available on the market and I will have the presentation of the book in my native town in St. Andrä.

DSCN9067.JPG

43240797_253115642069764_3509279518269374464_n.png

16 hours ago, Marty Hillman said:

I love that pattern!  And you finally motivated me to do my first size 50 project. I only had a .50mm hook, so it could be smaller. 

82AB1073-B1D4-49DB-B0CA-A2DF74D42A20.jpeg

It is petty! With crochet thread a size 0,50mm hook is perfect. If you would take a 0,35mm hook you would break it in an instant (I made this experience a few times and I also ruined some, which fell on a hard floor! I never have any problem with the Gütermann sewing thread C Ne 50 (100% cotton) which of course is much finer than any crochet thread (DMS, ELISA, ANCHOR etc.). In some of my previouse posts you can see the size differences regarding the outcome of a doily.

Archived