Crochet puzzle- what are these symbols

Lauraready

Question

Hello

Im doing a crochet themed treasure hunt, where you make a piece of crochet and it gives you coordinates

But instead of just numbers 3 symbols have appeared when the design is made

Im looking for help identifying  the 3 symbols below, there is one like a downwards arrow, two lines at a 45 degree angle and a sort of a sad smile for want of a better description

I have created a spreadsheet to show you what they look like, they are in white ( its a difficult pattern and Im a novice, so getting this far has taken me a day)

I have been working from a pattern found here https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7JANP_pattern-1?guid=65c600cc-7783-428d-875c-097849e20ef4

Are these crochet symbols and how will they change the pattern?

Can any experts out there offer some advice please?

Laura

crocher symbols.PNG

2 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  Those have no special significance in crochet, as far as I know.  Maybe they relate more to a map?

you are brave to tackle that wall of text!  Made my eyes cross just looking at it lol

I'm looking at the text of the pattern in your link, starting at row 7 - now,  my old eyes can't handle squinting at your graph and trying to verify this, but is it possibly a graphical representation of x stitches in yarn color A, y stitches in yarn color B and so on?  So someone has done a 'cheat' to reveal the map you are supposed to discover by doing the crochet colorwork?

I've seen old-school (typewriter days) cross stitch patterns that were an array of monospaced letters like AABJCFFF, where you have to know that A is red, B is green and so on to follow it.  Maybe the person started with symbols and then figured out a way to color them in, but just guessing as most (but not all) the blues are 1 symbol and the white the other...

Archived