Tunisian afgan stitch

Lousbabci

Question

I am making a very simple afghan using Tunisian stitch.  Just 3-4 rows of color and then changing to another color using up all my extra yarn.  No other pattern or anything.  I find that the shape is getting off.  I am very careful to count my stitches to make sure I don't drop or add any to my rows.  But both sides are starting to lean left so it looks like the Italic but to the left instead of the right.  (Hope that makes sense, LOL)

The research I have done says that is one of the "hate" of the love/hate of Tunisian.  Is this true?  All I can do is try to block it back to the right?

4 answers to this question

Have to admit I've only ever done a bit of Tunisian entrelac and a few small things without changing the yarn in the project, and I haven't had that issue.  The only thing I can think of is, since you've already checked that you're not loosing/gaining stitches, and presumably are using a cable hook so you haven't swapped hooks by mistake, is that it might be the yarn.  Even though different odds and ends might all be the same weight class, they can vary a little.  Example, US medium #4 weight ranges from 9-11 wraps per inch.

Since it's leaning 1 way...is is possible you're gaining a stitch on 1 end and losing it on the other?  Can you share a photo?  Maybe someone who does more Tunisian than I have can spot something and weigh in.

It's true the left lean is a characteristic of Tunisian simple stitch. I try to gently pull my pieces to the right after every 3-4 rows. The standard rule of thumb is to use a hook 2-3 times larger than the suggested hook for the yarn. As Granny Square said, different yarn brands and lines (even of the same weight) work up differently. Steam blocking definitely helps with all distortions.

I'm currently doing a square project with the same stitch and don't seem to have too much of a lean. As Granny Square said, a picture would be helpful, and your yarn weight and hook size.

Also, at the end of each row are you making another stitch after the last "bar"? So you're inserting the hook under the 2 loops at the very end of your row, (yarn over pull through and then chain 1) before you turn?

Archived