HELP with finding pattern, and wool colours

cinderella85

Question

Hi all, 

I have recently been given a Cath kidston crochet striped throw. It has some lovely autumnal colours. 

The problem is that I would love to perhaps recreate it so I can cover both parts of my corner sofa with it. 

Would anyone happen to know what pattern, and wool I can use? I think it could've maybe been crocheted with a 5mm hook, but I'm new so could well be wrong. 

I have given a picture for you to see. 

Thank you 151516266579338199710.thumb.jpg.48bd650659697ef759090110ec6deadc.jpg

15151627155711272492945.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville! 

The throw is very pretty!  Did someone make it for you, or was it bought in a store?  I know Cath Kidston is a U.K. company; are you in the UK?  

To me it looks like the yarn may be cotton or a blend of cotton and acrylic, but it's hard to say just from looking at a photo.  

So I googled around a bit, and found this which appears to be the same https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/wellers-auctioneers/catalogue-id-ibwe11824/lot-3878f72b-9d94-4a7a-b74a-a501008583eb

so I imagine yours was store-bought.  However someone somewhere may have worked out a pattern that replicates the colors and type of yarn.  

If you sign up on another site, Ravelry, there is a group about Kidston type designs and colors, you may find answer there.  

The pattern seems to be a simple granny stripe and the edging is shells so a very similar pattern won't be hard to find.  You may not be able to exactly match the colors though.  

Attic 24 (in Northern England) offers a lovely free Granny Stripe pattern that you may be able to follow easily. She is usually quick to answer any inquiries for help on her patterns and she sells yarn also.

I'd be inclined to bring the blanket into the yarn shop and try to match colors.  If you choose a yarn brand and look on line, the colors on your monitor may not  be quite right.

The border is an interesting shell, not the usual "make x stitches into 1 stitch, skip y stitches, make a short stitch, skip y stitches, repeat".  I'm guessing the pattern would be something on the order of (US terms): *Into the next stitch [chain 3, DC, Triple, Double triple]; skip 3 stitches, repeat from *.  Although, the stitches appear to be increasingly taller double crochets, just stretching/loosening the yarn a bit as they are made.  By the way, the brackets mean to do all within the brackets into 1 stitch.

Archived