Uneven looseness(?)

AmeliaLopez

Question

Why is it that when I make headbands/ear warmers, the side with the chain that I started with is really tight compared to the side that I ended with? And then my headbands are too tight on one side and flappy on the other. How do I avoid this?

edit: thanks so much everyone for recommending the foundation stitch, it changed the whole game. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi Amelia, welcome to the Ville!

its really common to make the beginning chain more tightly than subsequent rows.  I usually make my chain with a hook one or two sizes bigger.  So if the pattern calls for an H hook, use an I or J for the chain.  Then switch back to H for the rows.  

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

I agree with Kathy. Making a looser initial chain will help a lot.

Are you making the headband lengthwise or widthwise? I'm guessing by your post that you're making it lengthwise (a few long rows.) This means that the too tight chain is going around your head. Foundation chains are not stretchy at all.

Try making a head band the other way. Make a lot of short rows. Make a short chain, the width of the headband... maybe 4 or 5 stitches. Add rows until it fits around your head. Sew the ends together. This way only the seam isn't stretchy.

Another option is learn how to do an fsc (foundation sc.) It replaces the chain + row 1 with something that is more stretchy. 

I agree with redrosesdz.  I'm really a fan of  fsc ( foundation sc )  Just google "foundation stitches"--it should bring it up.  It seems hard at first, but you'll never regret learning the foundation stitches!

Ditto on the chain edge tending to be tight, especially if you stitch into the 'back bump'. I only discovered the 'back bump' post-internet; I learned to use the top loop (with the chain facing you, 'back bump' facing away from you).  It is fairly tension-neutral, and for something like a headband you could still do the 'use a bigger hook' trick.

Just mentioning this as it's simpler than the FSC, but don't want to discourage you from learning it if you are new to crochet.  Also there are stitch patterns where the foundation stitches will not work.

Archived